Supervisor fees

I have one exam left before Ive completed the certification course. I started reaching out to local inspectors to see who would be willing to supervise me on the 100 required inspections in CT. I finally heard back from someone who was actually willing to talk to me/ open to having an intern. I wasn’t exactly sure how the process worked so i had them walk me through the way he does it. It was explained to me that there is a deposit due first, then he will give me all the documents/ contracts he uses. That also gets me the first 10 " direct supervised" inspections. After that, assuming it seems like i know what I’m doing, I’m kind of on my own to find leads/ do inspections and send him my report before they get sent to the client. After every 10 there is another fee due till i reach the 100. Is this how it normally goes? The guy has stellar reviews online and has been in business for at least 7-8 years as far as i can tell.

I haven’t heard of that way before BUT you can make any arrangement that works for the client, the supervising inspector and you…I don’t know how it works in CT.
I missed the 10 directly supervised inspections with him/her.

Personally, I would like to shadow a qualified supervising inspector and not be turned loose on the unsuspecting public…and, do you carry E&O and General Liability Insurance?

The “fees” didn’t seem that unreasonable since they will be spending time with me and give me a bunch of their documents but its also not what i was expecting. In CT there is a minimum of 10 directly supervised inspection/ reports. Im sure i could do all 100 directly with him, but I bet that doesn’t change the fees for “reviewing my reports” . Im a GC and carry general liability through that business but have not gone any further yet. The gentleman I spoke with isn’t taking any interns till June 1st.

Hey, you have to start somewhere. If you are comfortable with him, that says a lot.

Louis, as an alternative, contact some CMIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring.
Here is the link: Find a Certified Master Inspector®
And another link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the info. I hope you’re able to stay safe out there!

Welcome…you stay safe, too!