Supply Vents in Garage

Would your client’s death certificate work? :wink:

And the wierd thing is most TPRV pipes around here are routed that way (even in most new homes). Go figure :roll:

alarmist ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s not exactly the wording I would use in my report… :wink:

Though I will recommend CO alarms, so I guess I am.

Yeah ,they should be there anyway.

If there is a fire in the garage it spreads into the attic through the supply register. It’s code not to have a register in the garage because the firewall restrictions.

One question no one has asked yet is the age of the structure. What year was it built? I did an inspection on a 1960s house that had heat vents in the garage but it predates new code. If the garage was original and never updated I would not expect somebody to rip out all the walls to bring it up to code. I would note that the heat vents are a possible entry point of carbon monoxide into the structure and to make sure that their carbon monoxide detectors are kept up-to-date.

Is your garage door insulated? Some are not. If not, you can buy insulation for the garage door at Home Depot and it is an easy D-I-Y project that will take you a half hour.

I have a ductless mini-split AC installed in the side of my garage. It helps cool things down when I’m working in the garage. Look here for the latest actual models on the market.

For your scenario, I’d look at a swamp cooler in the wall of the garage.

If you’re going to quote code, you need to identify which version of which code you’re quoting. Look back through this old thread and you’ll see people from different jurisdictions saying different things.

1 Like

I think it’s important to remember that we ARE NOT CODE INSPECTORS. If something I see is a structural issue it goes in the report. If something is a safety issue it goes in the report regardless of what the code says

2 Likes

I always call it out as a safety concern.

1 Like

The original code specified in this thread no longer exists (2006 IRC R309.1.1) The code pertinent to this requirement for 2018 is: G2442.3 (618.3) Prohibited sources. which specifically excludes:

1. A closet, bathroom, toilet room, kitchen, garage, boiler
    room, furnace room or unconditioned attic.
    Exceptions:
  2. Where return air intakes are located not less
    than 10 feet (3048 mm) from cooking appliances
    and serve only the kitchen area, taking
    return air from a kitchen area shall not be prohibited.
  3. Dedicated forced-air systems serving only a
    garage shall not be prohibited from obtaining
    return air from the garage.
1 Like