Sweet little ol' lady

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

We did a condo inspection at 6:00 this evening. The seller (sweet little ol’ lady) had no clue what a home inspection was and was visibly upset (understatement) about the whole process. She had a cute little rat terrier. I’m a dog person (actually just a pet person, but preference towards dogs). It took about ten minutes to calm her down and get her on our side. Both Realtors admitted after the inspection that they were impressed with our handling of her.

She (and Joey, her rat terrier) followed us everywhere, asked about everything we were doing, why we were doing it, and commented about it. Here's some of her statements:

"The dishwasher works beautifully."
"The oven works beautifully."
"Nothing leaks. Everything works beautifully."
"The water heater works beautifully."

You get the message.

We got to the washer (and we do inspect washers, dryers, and refrigerators when they are conveying). She told us, "The washer works beautifully." My partner said, "Oh, I couldn't get it to work." Wrong thing to say since she knew that everything worked beautifully.

"Well, dummy," she said, "you have to close the lid. And then you have to turn the water valves on." (The washer connections were metal braid rather than rubber hose; yippee!).

Partner said, "Well no one ever has metal braid at the washer and they sure don't turn the water on and off."

Her response is classic:

"Well, they're idiots."

Sweet little ol' lady was 93.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russel,

That should teach your partner to go against the sweet little ol lady which obviously is not as dumb as people take her to be. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Oh, she was bright and spry all right. She was so knowledgeable about everything in her house that I asked her if she would like a job as a home inspector. She politely declined.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

She probably had an AC Bristol Cobra in her garage with a 427 SOHC engine under the hood. Only driven in quarter-mile lengths on sunny Sunday afternoons. BTW, the accellerator works BEAUTIFULLY !!!

You are close, oh so close. I think she was Jan & Dean’s “Little Old Lady From Pasadena.” She had a very beautiful vintage 1960’s era Jaguar. And I don’t think it had more than 100 miles on it; it looked that great. I’m not a fan of Jaguar, but I must admit that it certainly did look nice.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.