Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
As a matter of fact......how old was the house. Houses here that were done in k&t used a switched neutral for all lights and switched outlets. If the house has k&t chances are that is what you have. The only real danger in that is if someone goes to change the light bulb and grounds themselves as they touch the the inside part of the socket but then what are the odds of that happening. Nevertheless, if you feel it is a hazard then recommend that mr sparky changes it which would be a chore in itself for typically in the switch box there will be no hot just like in today's modern switching the switch box is either just a switch leg or contains no neutral.
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.