Switched neutral?

Originally Posted By: nlewis
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was testing an outlet with a $10 three light/GFCI tester and it showed “wiring OK”. I turned off the wall switch to turn off the outlet and the tester then showed “open neutral”.

Does anybody know the reason for this? Speculation also welcome.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: psabados

Sounds like someone has switched the wires around. Using the switch to break the neutral connection. You still have 110 being supplied to the hot side of the receptacle. Next time that happens use a multi meter or idiot light and check to see if power is still supplied at the hot side.

Most likely homeowner or friend had to change out a broken switch

Paul

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Sound like the switch breaks the ground.

But wait til Dennis answers because I'm guessing. I know he will have the correct answer.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

icon_lol.gif Larry…

As a matter of fact......how old was the house. Houses here that were done in k&t used a switched neutral for all lights and switched outlets. If the house has k&t chances are that is what you have. The only real danger in that is if someone goes to change the light bulb and grounds themselves as they touch the the inside part of the socket but then what are the odds of that happening. Nevertheless, if you feel it is a hazard then recommend that mr sparky changes it which would be a chore in itself for typically in the switch box there will be no hot just like in today's modern switching the switch box is either just a switch leg or contains no neutral.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Dennis,

The house was about 30 years old, and definitely no K&T. The wiring was the cloth wrapped older Romex stuff and with a groud conductor.

Thanks for your help. Neal

Neal

Well with no k&t then, someone messed up when they wired it. Doubtful that a sparky did it....probably was Mr Homeowner.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Dennis,

What is K&T???

Lee Trower

Lee…

K&t is the NACHI abbreviation for knob and tube wiring.

--

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Neal,

Was this a three way switch?

Joe Myers

Joe,

I didn't actually look at the switch to see if it was a 3 way type, because it was in a bedroom to switch a wall outlet.

Dennis is correct about the wiring being done by Mr Homeowner. For example, the panel box was crammed full of all tandem breakers and no GFCI outlets in a brand new kitchen.

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Thank you Dennis