SWR and Florida Code

The code posted in itself is confusing.
It states at the top that it can be installed by 1 of the listed means. Then it breaks it up into HVHZ or non-hvhz.

SO is it 1 or 2???
or is each one a or b???
now I’m confused more than ever. :frowning:

Now let me sum it up for you. You are outside the HVHZ. So when you take your ruler or business card and it sticks ask for documentation from a roofing contract that they installed a self adhering underlayment. If it doesn’t stick or no SWR than move on. I didn’t mean to make people get confused from this post.

Your looking for a self adhering underlayment on a wind mitigation, standard underlayment and hot mopped felts do not qualify as SWR

In laymen terms a secondary water resistance is underlayment, felt or self adhered,

correct me if I’m wrong

Do you want a breakdown of the code for SWB, or what is needed just for the 1802? I can do both.:smiley:

the 1802 is easy. It specifies what you need.
the code itself, not so much… :smiley:

I am entertained…proceed…

Inside the HVHZ, the only way to get the SWR credit is to have just the seams taped with mod-bit, or foam adhesive installed underneath the sheathing, and cover the entire roof with #30 felt or other approved nailed-down underlayments. Their requirements for SWB mandate that the approved underlayment for the roof covering system selected must be mechanically fastened to the decking first. Some roofers install a full self-adhered membrane over that, but is not required. Outside the HVHZ you can choose between seam tape first and then required felts or synthetic underlayments, OR the entire roof is covered with self-adhered membrane to the decking, OR just required felts or synthetics.

As far as I know, seam tape is still allowed as an acceptable SWR on the 1802. Some will argue that, but it’s really no different than having the adhesive foam installed on just the plywood seams underneath.

So to sum it up, the original quesiton was: “does the reroof require seam tape?” Not related to the wind mit form, just general re-roof.

In the HVHZ, you must have seam tape on a re-roof.
In non-hvhz no tape is required. It’s nice to have for your 1802 form, but not “required.”

Great!

Right from floridabuilding.org

Current Requirements:

201.2 Roof secondary water barrier for site-built single family residential structures. A secondary water barrier shall be installed using one of the following methods when roofing replacement when reroofing.

a) All joints in roof sheathing or decking shall be covered with a minimum 4 in. wide strip of self-adhering polymer modified bitumen tape applied directly to the sheathing or decking. The deck and self adhering polymer modified bitumen tape shall be covered with one of the underlayment systems approved for the particular roof covering to be applied to the roof

b) The entire roof deck shall be covered with an approved self-adhering polymer modified bitumen cap sheet. No additional underlayment shall be required on top of the cap sheet for new installations.

EXCEPTIONS:

1.An asphalt impregnated 30# felt underlayment installed with nails and tin-tabs as required for the HVHZ and covered with either an approved self-adhering polymer modified bitumen cap sheet or an approved cap sheet applied using an approved hot-mop applications shall be deemed to meet the requirements of the secondary water barrier.

Where did you get that one Shawn? Looks like an old version. The 2010 re-roof code for existing buildings is the same as the link I posted.

Hardly anybody uses seam tape anymore. But if used in the HVHZ, then it should qualify for the discount. Seam tape or even full self-adhered membrane is not “required” in any part of the state…It’s an option. Make any sense yet?:smiley:

You guys are soo close…just a little bit more…

Hey Shawn,

I emailed you some info a code inspector gave me that I keep in the car.

Again thats for code, not windmit.

Hope everything is well

na, just easier print an email than forum.

Hope all is well Shep’

Thank you, The original post I posted Brad, did bring to my attention that this was the old version. I looked at the one you sent and its right on. Usually when I see SWR I make sure it states it meets ASTM D1970. The county above me they put this in the permitting paperwork for roof installations.

Not so. SWR is peel and stick membrane only. The AHJ may allow for 30# felt in lieu of SWR, but it is not a SWR. Most building departments (Sarasota County included) require the Roofing Contractor to sign an affidavit stated that he re-nailed the sheathing and installed SWR. Whether they do or not is a different story.

See that’s where this gets confusing. According to 1802 SWR is self adhering membrane. But the secondary covering of a roof would be underlayment. Now I do agree with you. If the roof covering gets torn off during a storm and the underlayment gets wet from rain wouldn’t it get damaged and damage the sheathing.

Reece, now you are really confusing us. The roofing affidavit certifies that the roofer installed the secondary water barrier (SWB), which they all do. Felt paper counts as SWB. The acronym SWR (secondary water resistance) was concocted by the insurance industry, but still means the same thing. The only difference is that the 1802 does not recognize the alternative methods of secondary water barrier compliance that the FBC does, and only counts PnS or adhesive foam as SWR.

You should know this, you are a GC.

Wsiegel -

You are missing the point. Our jobs as HI is to identify functionality and report and issue or defective items we come across visually and non-evasively. When I stated codes are irrelevant to me as a HI, was because codes are changing constantly and it is not our jobs as HI to keep up with them. That is why the GC’s get paid the big bucks. If I inspect and house built in the 70’s without GFCI’s is that a defect? No, I just recommend installing for safety. If I inspect a house in 2015 without a GFCI’s is that a defect? Yes, because it is an establish “current standard”. Some of the other examples you used are defects or installation errors and have nothing to do with code.

Do you mind me asking what is your profession and what is your interest in an inspectors message board with an organization you are not affiliated with?

Bill has more inspecting experience than probably anyone here :slight_smile:

He is a real Home Inspector.