SWR and the 1802

Exactly how, if ever, besides an swr installed in the attic, can one note a swr on the 1802. From what i understand its now a standard on most reroofs. Peeling back the roofing material is ill advised and next to impossible to see anyway. The only visual would be during the install. So, I hate to ask in this group, but, am I missing something?

Get pictures from the roofer and on the invoice. Or a good roofer will have it on the permit

This has been addressed here numerous times.
SWR as per the FBC, is required. However, the definition of an SWR from the OiR differs from the FBC.

The permit or proposal would have to state that it was applied in 4 inch strips over the joints or over the entire roof directly over the plywood decking. Good luck with that.

We look in the attic to see it, if we can(do not look in a valley). We then ask for documentation. The documentation must show more than SWR, it must be adhered to the decking. Peel & Stick or something similar. The documentation can be a receipt, on the permit or product brochure found in the package from the roofer.

Remember

TO THE DECKING FIRST.

Ok I understand the application and the product however when guiding my clients to send proof such as the roofing contract stating it was installed or some other document stating the same it has been so far rejected. Also, since it has become a installation requirement to obtain a permit and final shouldnt that be enough proof? After all, we cant see lapped felt but know it had to be installed to be a proper permitted, inspected job.

Now, now, if you are going to start with logic and the OiR, you will be in for a long day! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here is the code:

Secondary Water Barrier: FBC, Existing Building section 611.7.2
Note: All re-roofing permits for single-family residential structures applied for on or after
October I, 2009 require a secondary water barrier as defined in section 611.7.2

Choose one of the following secondary water barrier methods.
Note: all installations shall be in strict accordance with specific product approval
requirements

__ All joints in structural panel roof sheathing or decking shall be covered with minimum
4 in. wide strip of self-adhering polymer modified bitumen tape applied directly to the
sheathing or decking. The deck and self-adhering polymer modified bitumen tape shall be
covered with one of the underlayment systems approved for the particular roof covering to
the applied to the roof.

__ The entire roof deck shall be covered with an approved self-adhering polymer
modified bitumen sheet. No additional underlayment shall be required on top of this sheet
for new installations.

__ The entire roof deck shall be covered with an approved asphalt impregnated 30# felt
shall be installed with nails and tin-tabs as required for the HVHZ (No additional
underlayment shall be required over the top of this sheet).

__ Outside ofthe HVHZ, an underlayment complying with section 1507.2.3 of the
Florida Building Code, Building fastened as described below or a layer of asphalt
impregnated approved 30# felt shall be installed. The felt Is to be fasted with I" round
plastic cap nails or metal cap nails, attached to a nailable deck in a grid pattern of 12 inches
(305 mm) staggered between the overlaps, with 6-inch (152 mm) spacing at the overlaps.
For slopes of2: 12 to 4: 12 an additional layer offelt shall be installed in a shingle-fashion
lapped 19" and fastened as described above. (No additional underlayment shall be required
over the top of this sheet).

Exceptions:
I. Roof slopes < 2: 12 having a continuous roof system shall be deemed to comply
with section 611.7.2 requirements for a secondary water barrier.

1. Clay and concrete tile roof systems installed as required by Florida Building
    Code are deemed to comply with the requirements of section 611.7.2 for Secondary
    Water Barriers.

I have forms from several cities that are required to be filled out prior to doing a re-roof. Your municipality may have the same.
Rarely do the roofers use the 4 inch strip method, as the other methods are easier and code compliant.

Todd it is NOT a requirement it is a possible method that no one ever chooses or is even likely told about. It Cost More.

Permits are a requirement but not always done. If only I could have permit info most of the time it would be so much easier.:roll:

Todd, no a permit with a final isn’t enough proof for SWR, as you can use 30 lb felt with overlap for building code SWR, but that is not the credit on the 1802. The permit will sometimes show p&s or peel and stick or polyglass with an NOA or something like that on it for peel and stick credit. If that isn’t there, have the homeowner contact the roofer for a copy of the roofing affadavit, it is there that they take photographs of the re-nail and the SWR, if they used peel and stick. Last resort is a photograph at the ridge peak or around a plumbing stack if plywood deck or if a dimensional deck, shot from between the boards and I usually stick a business card or my thin roof deck metal ruler to the peel and stick and get a photograph of that hanging from between the joints/ridge peak as well.