SWR Mandatory on all re-roofs

Yes, but that doesn’t get you the SWR credit. That is another example of the OiR re-writing the code and enforcing it… which I would submit, is illegal.

No, it’s in the existing building code.

Do you have a link to those local amendments?

Can you please provide documented proof?
If so, allot of roofer will have a lot of explaining to do… :wink:
Thanks!

being new I ask many questions. In Tampa according to the building inspector tape is NOT required. The overlap felt is acceptable.

I WATCHED them install the tape on a roof I did wind mit on. I marked it on the form and citizens wants a picture of the tape it to accept it. I should have taken a picture at the time.

Get with the roofer and request a signed and notorized affidavit that polymer bitumen seam tape was installed. That will satisfy CIT. Bet you will take the photo next time…include the permit placard in the photo.

Try to get a swr credit in the hvhz if your home has tongue and groove or plank lumber for the decking. :shock:

Q. Can 4” strips of self-adhering polymer modified bitumen (peal &
stick) be installed over plank (tongue and groove, V-joint, etc.)?
A. Not in the High Velocity Hurricane Zone.

http://www.margatefl.com/building/Hurricane%20Retrofit.pdf

If dimensional lumber is the decking, the entire roof must be covered with peel and stick for the credit…even outside the HVHZ.

Directly in opposition to this:
Q. Do shingle roof systems with a self-adhering modified bitumen
membrane installed over the base sheet meet the requirements of a
secondary water barrier?
A. Yes.

That is what the code says. The 1802 requires the SWR to be directly adhered to the bare decking. Go figure.

I should add that this is code for HVHZ. Everywhere else the peel and stick goes on first, or they can use regular felts as SWR. Doesn’t make much sense, does it?

No it does not. The OiR is superseding the building code and they do not have that right.
I have posted this numerous times because I know that some of OiR members, citizens, as well as others, monitor this message board. I sincerely hope that they take notice and make changes to the form.
A case could be made, that by requiring something that exceeds the code, in order to save money on insurance, as in pay less if done one way, pay more if done according to the code, that it would constitute extortion and as it is on a wide spread scale, racketeering.

If the hammer should drop…they have been adequately warned…

The insurance companies(OIR) requiring more than code requires(code plus) is part of what wind mitigation and discounts are about. You should pay less if you protect your home more. You are not required by the insurance companies or OIR to follow the items on the form, but you do need those items to get the discounts(except certain SFBC requirements). You do have a choice. If you have a mortgage then, pay insurance as required or pay off your mortgage.

We should be encouraging everyone to do everything possible to protect their home. Protecting one home may save another(WBD). We all will save money in the long run if more people protect their homes. Especially replacing roofs and protecting garage doors.

We do have another option, require all upgrades be made on all home via legislation/building code.

We should be encouraging everyone to do everything possible to protect their home. Protecting one home may save another(WBD). We all will save money in the long run if more people protect their homes. Especially replacing roofs and protecting garage doors.

John,
I agree the key is educating consumers. For example the average home with a 30 square roof could have SWB applied to the seams of the sheathing during a re-roof for about $500 and would save them what about $350 per year in reduced premiums for the next 20 years, and I’m just guessing about the $350 discount it may be more

You are missing the point John. They, legally do not have the right to enforce or make you exceed any code. They are not code officials.

It would be nice if everyone could upgrade their homes, but, who is going to give these people the money for these upgrades? What was that program that is currently being used to destroy every major highway in this State? :mrgreen:

What you fail to realize is that the swr credit, even if given, will be swallowed up by the next rate increase. In five years, all of the so-called discounts will be used up if the current Gov. gets his way.

Yes, they can not force you to upgrade your home. They do not need to insure it either. You do have a choice, if you have a better solution, I am listening. If we do not upgrade our homes we will always be in this position.

But they are forcing you to upgrade your home, or, they won’t insure you. Then you get forced-placed insurance, then your mortgage payment doubles, then you lose your home.

The problem with insurance companies, is that they like to “cherry-pick” their clients. They use data that is twisted to suit their needs.
Andrew was the big piece of the pie that they needed. “The building code needs to be updated”, which isn’t true. The newer homes are the ones that got damaged, due mainly, to the poor execution of workmanship and failure of the building departments to do tier jobs. The homes built in the 50s and 60s, got minimal damage by comparison.
They were built fine.

I published this once before. I WATCHED the roofer apply the peel and stick. Stupid me did not take a picture at the time. I marked it on the form and the adjuster told me without a picture of it he would not accept it. How do you get a picture of it now??

I have found it at the gaps b/n roof decking, around attic vents, dryer vents, etc. Also, get the documentation from the roofer, contract, bill, etc…