Systems-based reports or room-by-room?

I need some input on this decision. It looks to me like most people choose to use systems-based reporting.
Here are my questions and concerns.

1. If I have a ceiling fan that is bad in the master bedroom does it go in the master bedroom or in the electrical part of the report and why?
  2. If I find 3 bad electrical receptacles, 1 in the living room, 1 in a bedroom, and 1 in the kitchen. Where do they go in the report the room where they are located or under electrical in the report and why?
    For some reason, this question has been killing me trying to decide between the two reporting styles.
  3. What about an insulated window failure I a bedroom, does it go with all the other windows or in the room where it is located?

I report based on systems. For specific items and their location I add a caption to the picture I included. Keep it simple.

6 Likes

What Joe said. Generally, I note defects in the respective system and note location as needed.

3 Likes

When you report based on systems your narrative can still identify the location of a defect. For your fan item I would put that in the electrical (it is a fixed electrical device) and merely describe the location - master bedroom. For your outlets what I and many others do is to use a commonly available round sticker (make sure it is the removable kind - non-permanent) on each of the miswired outlets. In the electrical section I just make one narrative identifying outlets with the sticker as needing attention. The window can be in either the exterior or interior systems and again is merely identified by its location. Plumbing is usually confined to Kitchen, laundry, or bathrooms and bathrooms are identified as floor and location (hall, masterbath) but it all appears in the plumbing system section and specified as to the actual problem (toilet loose, faucet leaks, drain stopper, poor flow, drainage, etc.)

If your state has a mandated SOP (as mine does) it might be easiest to merely re-arrange the report hierarchy to conform to the state SOP. This is the way I arrange mine.

2 Likes

Thanks Joe, I like the simplicity. What software are you using?

I do both, I still have an Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Grounds, Decks, Chimneys & Vents, Roof, Exterior, Attic, Basement, Kitchen, Bathrooms, Laundry, and Garage sections, but the interior is broken down by room and bathrooms are identified by location. So if there’s a window with a bad seal in the living room, or a receptacle that tested open ground in the dining room, or a loose toilet in the upstairs hall bathroom, it gets reported as such. This technique of reporting, at least for me, is much easier, especially when doing houses with multiple defects at every turn.

1 Like

Do you want to give the whole report to the electrician, so he can try and figure it out? Or give the electrical pages, where everything pertains to electrical?

How many sections are in your report? That is how many times the client has to wade through the whole report to hopefully find what they are looking for.

Then there is a summary. Are you going to duplicate the whole report again?
The client may want something you deem insignificant addressed. Or they may not care about the catastrophic issue in the bathroom, because they plan to rip the whole thing out before they move in.

It’s your choice. No big deal to be loosing sleep over.
How many times do you want phone calls from a confused client/REA? On that note, ask your favorite REA what they like to use, as they see all kinds of reports.

1 Like

I’m using Spectora.

Really good information, I you and the others who have replied.

Good point Kevin. Thanks for your reply.

David, I like your style, thanks for the feedback.

Systems is how I report. I try to envision who the report will be handed to and put it in that section. I will sometimes group things if I think a single person may do several items - a SUPER common thing in Oregon is to have a crawl space ripped up by rodents are other animals. While I’d usually put a problem with a heat duct in HVAC in the case of general crawl space damage I’ll put it in “crawl space” since the general restoration contractor will likely do it all.

Plumbing is usually what’s in the walls or other unfinished spaces. As in, I put problems with sinks, toilets, and connector plumbing (traps under sinks, supply lines to sinks) in whatever room they’re in (Bathroom, Kitchen, etc.). Pretty much everything electrical goes in that section.

I think most of this is for convenience (both yours and your client’s). Liability-wise as long as it’s in the report it’s good enough. At least the one time I was unfortunate enough to sit through a 4-hour deposition for one of my inspector’s inspections nobody even mentioned categories it was just “The report” and was it in there or not.

1 Like

Matt so based on the above info from you, Does a bad GFCI go in the Kitchen or under branch circuits in the electricity section?
Mark

Definitely in Electrical. Kitchen would usually get things appliance related. Damaged flooring and other finish materials would usually go under Interior unless it’s the result of a leak from an appliance (which in the kitchen it usually is). My routine is not an exact science and varies for sure. I just try to always think of what is going to happen with the report next… as in, who are they going to give it to in order to get things fixed. I try to keep as many similar things together as possible. From a liability standpoint I don’t worry too much as long as it’s in the report somewhere.

1 Like