Tablet PC Users - How do you carry it around?

Originally Posted By: ddiment
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have purchased ReportPro software. The tough decision is what to use for a machine. I am leaning towards a tablet PC but I want to know how you carry your tablet around. Do you carry it with you during the entire inspection, leave it in a central location and update from time to time or do the entire inspection then record your findings? If you do carry it, do you have some type of holster for it or do you just lug it around?

One last question. Is anyone using a palm-top machine yet, such as OQO, Vaio U50/70 or (a little bigger) Fujitsu P1000?

Originally Posted By: ddiment

I don’t know why it shows I am not a member. I guess I have to send an email.

Originally Posted By: igompertz

The best way is to strap it to your hand/arm this way you do the bulk of your report during your inspection. If you don’t want to do your report in the field why spend the extra money for a tablet pc.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Ian,

You must have forearms like Popeye!

How long can you work with a 3 to 6 pound PC strapped to your arm?

Originally Posted By: ddivito

I have a Compaq TC1100 which has a detachable swivel keyboard and comes with a detachable portfolio case. I park the case and keyboard with a mouse and power cord in one location and carry the tablet around for the exterior and appliance number taking. The rest of the time I slot it onto the keyboard and make notes. The tablet itself just weighs 3 lbs. Sometimes I carry the whole thing if its raining or I go into a crawlspace or attic. The whole thing just weighs 5 lbs. The case protects it from dirt.

It allows me to complete 90% of the report. I go back to my office for the picture inclusion, editing and for those items to resurface in my memory I didn't note during the inspection. I never give a report onsite. I hate sending addendums.

Originally Posted By: Brian R. Sumpter

PorterValley software allows you to use a handheld. I spoke at length to them , and got a sample CD. A good friend is using their software and swears by it.

I would MUCH rather hold a 185gram Dell Axim, rather than a 5 to 14 pound pc.

Just my .02

Originally Posted By: phandy

I use Porter Valley Software and love it. I have used it on both my HP 2215 IPAQ and my TC1100.

The pda is great if you don’t have to make many alterations to your library in the field. The problem is when you get into a situation where you have about 15 or so unique situations to report on and you don’t want to enter that many on your pda with a stylus as it just takes too long.

I used the TC 1100 for awhile and used a hip pack to carry it in, pulling it out only to document the findings. In the unique situations where you need to alter the findings of your library or add another, it is so much faster with the tablet pc. I don’t use the keyboard or a mouse. The writing recognition works well and my handwriting is sloppy.

Lately though I transfer the report template to my pda and use it. If I have any unusual situations that call for a unique comment, I have the tablet on hand and just write it out on the MS Journal program that is already booted up and it just takes a second. I load the program back onto the TC1100 once I am back at the office and add the noted from the Journal there at my leisure. Being able to use the pda is definitely the quickest way to go about preparing the report if your library is good. icon_cool.gif