Take an electrician on an inspection

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Took my cousins husband along with me on an inspection yesterday. He’s a licensed master electrician…

He just wanted to tag along on a HI and I figured I could use all the education I can get on electrical.

It was great hearing his perspective on things…and he basically talked to the buyers on everything electrical that was an issue…which there were quite a few of…wanted to bop him on the head everytime he mentioned the word “code” but other than that it was good having him along…heck…the buyers wanted to hire him to do the work when we got done!! He was up on vacation, and his business wasn’t in the area…

It did give him pause about opening a shop in the area though.

Anyway, if you ever have a chance to take a tradesman along, I highly recommend it! I think it made me look even better! icon_biggrin.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Kevin glad it worked out for you.

Many of us electricians can be pretty stubborn. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Talk about electric problems without using the word 'code'?

I know I could not do that, I think I would have to wait in the truck.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Kevin

Great idea to take a pro.

Bad idea to let him open his mouth.

Take me for an example. I am very good with my verbal skills, but poor with my written skills. (I know everyone already knows this). That is my point.

He might be the best electrician in the world but he can make a reversed polarity sound like a re-wire job.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Contrary to what may believe, not all electricians use tricks, traps and fancy words to sell work. Take me for instance. I use a book…called the NEC. I explain the code and why certain things related to the code should or must be repaired. If I came across a reverse polarity duplex, my response would be, “It would take about 10 minutes to repair and I don’t even need to waste time by turning off the power to it”. I, as I am certain, with most electricians, do not take a reversed polarity duplex and turn it into a rewire job! We don’t need to do such. I have never sold anyone anything they do not need and I refuse to do such. Just bad business. If a customer ever found out that I sold him something he didn’t need…his word of mouth alone could kill my reputation as being honorable, reliable and professional. Why would any electrician risk their reputation by “opening their mouths” and selling something that is not required?

I have read many slanderous remarks on this board about electricians selling things that are not needed. Do we, as electricians, really appear that shifty to you guys? What has an electrician done to anyone here to give us, "the good guys" such a bad reputation? Believe me, when I say that I would much rather take the 10 minutes to make a reversed polarity outlet right, than I would to take the hour or two to rewire the entire circuit. Whenever I go into a house that has just been seen by the HI, I actually thank you guys. Most of ya are pretty smart when it comes to electrical and you make good calls on what is needed. Occasionally, I do pick up work from you guys as well, but I never bad mouth a HI in front of the customer nor do I indicate things in need of repair that actually does not need repair. Very unprofessional to do such.

Unlike the electrician, the one who sells a product and a service, HI's merely inspect. So when a HI inspects electrical, and he has a electrician as his sidekick for an inspection or two, both individuals are learning. The electrican learns just what a HI does and the HI can learn from the electrician on what things they should be aware of, electrically speaking. If anyone else out there feels that bringing a electrician along is a bad idea, then don't do it. But hey guys, give us sparkies some credit here. We are not out to screw anyone on elecectrical work just like you aren't out there to screw anyone with your inspections. We are all in business to make money and I prefer to make my money honestly, as I am certain most electricians are. Actually I take Mike's comments as an insult to my profession. I am apologetic to you Mike if any of my brothers in electrical work has disillusioned you in some way as to what a sparky actually does!

--
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Mike is an electrician, not a HI. icon_wink.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dbozek

OMG icon_eek.gif

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Kevin

"Mike is an electrician, not a HI."

Not necessarily true.

I am an electrician, a home inspector, and an electrical inspector.

What most HI's do not know is that when wearing the ESI hat we are only 'suppose' to look at the work that is permitted.

I am sure that the others that hold this 'hat' have only looked at the permitted work. Unless it was 'that' bad.

Mike P.