Talk about square footage!

Went to check this building out today that I am going to be bidding on an inspection for against several other inspectors and engineers. Have to get the scope of work information at a bidders meeting in the morning. From what I know, it is going to be a pretty extensive inspection.

Roof and HVAC units are expected to be excluded because they are going to be replaced by the building owner. Client wants a video inspection of the sewer laterals. Possibly talked them into a thermal imaging scan of the fenestration. And they asked about possibly doing IAQ sampling. Building is 25 years old and doesn’t look to be in that bad of shape from the driveby I did this afternoon. It also has 22 overhead doors for the loading docks. I am planning on outsourcing some of the inspection to outside contractors that specialize in different areas so that I can concentrate on the structure and mechanicals.

Should keep me busy for a couple of hours!

Good luck with the Bid Scott

Wow, massive Sq ft, what do you think a week?

Uh hmm
What is the sq footage?
What is Fenestration as I confess to never having heard that word in my life?

Good Luck Scott.

Fenestrations are doors, windows etc. on exterior walls. I had to look it up the other day with regards to EIFS inspections.:stuck_out_tongue:

It is listed as 242,000 square feet. Approximately 40,000 square feet of office space on two floors and the rest is warehouse space. It has about a football field worth of glass (fenestration for Condo Bob).

Depending on how technical they want to get, I am expecting anywheres between a couple of days to a week. Obviously, if I am going to be pulling HVAC units apart or electrical panels it is going to take on the longer end. They have an electrical engineer doing that part of the inspection from what I have been told already.

100_6896.jpg

100_6898.jpg

100_6902.jpg

Just counted 126 skylights and 35 60 ton HVAC units ont he roof.

Scott,
I’ve spoken to several industrial property managers recently and they mentioned that they have annual IR electrical inspections.

So you gonna get the future Biz or what?

If I get the bid and do the initial inspection, I am sure they will want some sort of annual inspection for various things. Apparently they are going to be putting in some very elaborate conveyer belt system and are concerned about EMF fields. That is one of the main reasons why an electrical engineer is coming in to do that portion of the inspection. With all the glass work and electrical systems they plan on having in this place, I will definately suggest that if I get the bid.

Apparently there is going to be a bidding war between different inspection companies in the area. I called a structural engineer today to get his prices for consultation work and explained the situation. They told me they were contacted by the same client and were bidding on the job as well to do a PCA. Funny story was that another inspector called them earlier on this week and asked them the same thing I did. We came to the conclusion that the client wants to start a bidding war to get the lowest possible price. They told me today that they wanted to find someone who can handle everythign instead of hiring a multitude of different contractors. I initially got the call for this about 3-4 months ago and never heard anything back. Now they finally want to go through with the purchase of this place. I spent most of today on the phone getting quotes for anything that I can think of that they may want to add into the scope of work that I know so far. I know one thing, it’s going to be one hell of an inspection fee for the doors and sewer lateral inspections.

Scott, who do you have your E&O with? Mine won’t cover anything with that sort of square footage.

I have a Loyd’s policy that covers me up to 20 acres.

I’ve got the 20 acre thing too but it limits the building to 50,000 square feet. I never understood the 20 acre thing. I can inspect a house on 1500 acres but if it’s a commercial property, say a campground with a C store, on 25 acres, I can’t do it.

I told my agent that I frequently bid on properties like this and she said that it would not be a problem as long as the total property is under 20 acres. That is the limit on the square footage of the building and the land area.

Just finished 5 days worth of inspection on this monster. Scope of work was pretty limited, however they wanted a sewer and storm drain video inspection that took 3 full days to do even with a robotic camera. Have a day to work on the report and might have to go back for a re-inspection after the seller makes some repairs. Wound up doing a thermal imaging scan of all the exposed arrogate panels on the exterior. That actually went really fast working with another inspector.

interesting…

Uhhhhh…report came out to be a little over 100 pages long. Finally done!!!

Did they ask for, and did you mention a standard? Just curious which standard you performed under; ComSOP or ASTM or a combination of the two.

We decided to use the ComSOP standard with a defined scope of work to be performed. The report was written using HG Commercial template with the standard included in the report body. They didn’t want me to explain the ASTM standards to them and all the discrepencies and went with something that was easier to understand.

Excelent