Tankless water heaters

:innocent:

1 Like

I was reviewing one of the videos it was showing the tankless water heater yesterday and I had a inspection today and I came across one.

I was thinking to myself what a piece of garbage because there’s too much technical things about the tankless water heater. I was thinking to myself what a piece of garbage because there’s too much technical things about the tankless water heater

You can say that again.

1 Like

in the video the technician was explaining the tank less water heater but he wasn’t specific as to how much water is held inside the coils at one time

Think about it for a few minutes…

2 Likes

in the coils I’m asking, not the tank. think about my question

I did, and if you’ve ever see the inside of these units, the heat exchanger/coil size varies quite a bit, but holds a negligible amount of water. The length of the tubing wrapped in spirals, for example.

Some electric on-demand units hold virtually no water at all , a scant few ounces.

l

2 Likes

Its funny because right now am watching a show and they are showing low the system works. This old house

I just think that the money you save on energy, you will have to pay the tech. To come service it every year.

That’s not accurate for me at least. Mine is run on natural gas and it saves about $30/month. The maintenance is not that hard.

The component is what you will need a technician to come once a year to service the computer in it. Am sure you could handle the burner, heater exchange etc. My understanding is that there are about 300 burners in the H/E. That exp sure with need to get replaced a lot. I guess for some people it might work. I just see it as too much maintaining and cost for the unit itself. What happens with the electric goes out? No got water. Plus your paying 2 bills now. Gas and electric for 1 appliance

Joseph you should get used to seeing these in new homes. 50% of my new home inspections have tankless water heaters. The benefit is the consumer is not paying to heat 50 or 75 gallons of water and keep that water hot all day 24/7. In my climate they are often installed outdoors saving on running a flue pipe out to the roof. Maintenance is as little as flushing the unit once a year. You need to (should) flush a regular water heater once every 30 days. Yes they will be expensive to replace if a circuit board fails. I’ve owned three of them and only one had a faulty circuit board and it was under warranty.

1 Like

Yes, you might be right. Am doing some studies on it now. Its the future

1 Like

Another advantage is space. In the last house I built I had two tankless water heaters installed on separate sides of the home in very small 15 inch closets. No need to worry about flue pipe or combustible air.

How much do they cost, how long do they last? how much to clean yearly to maintain efficiency?

A lot of money and time. Look at it like this. That heat exchanger is burning at 300.000 btu just to get the water got that fast. So if you know a chemistry. When you heat up water it leaves a seleltament adhmd . That’s the stuff you find down the bottom of the water heater. Well if those heat exchanger are constantly burning like that over and over in a short time you are going to have to service the thing more often them you would on water heater. Now you Cant just get uncle Fred to come over and ateam it once in awhile. You will need a technician to come and service it once a year. The geeke squared. They charge about $180 to $280 an hour. You have to be trained and certified to work on them. A computer person. Every year. That add up. Any body can open that thing and take the screws off, the thing is how and where to put them back. It gets very technical. Lots of things to consider. I am looking into it myself. I wouldn’t buy one for my house. Its just always good to learn about something you don’t know about.

What exactly is your source that is telling you that Best Buys Geek Squad needs to service the tankless water heater every year? I’ve had mine for 3 years and that is simply not the case. The only maintenance required is to flush the system. Homeowners can buy a kit to do it themselves or pay someone about $100/year to do it for them.

Ok first huh? The water is constantly flushing the piping system in the tankless unit. In a standard water heater attempts are made with the dip tube to keep the bottom of the water heater clean but sediment may still build which is why monthly flushing is recommended.

Yes a small pump, two small hoses and a bucket with white vinegar is all that’s needed once a year.