Tankless WH

How much did the electric upgrade cost as the tankless electrics can draw huge amperages?

Since they are direct vent, do they need internal electric heaters to prevent freezing from cold air entry? If they do, this is an extra operating cost!!

David G,

What is the make of your tankless water heater?

Thanks,

http://www.e-tankless.com/

There is a comparison of electric v. gas.
http://www.e-tankless.com/gas-vs-electric.php

Raymond:

A well installed and insulated 40 gal (Imperial) electric tank can be be 95-96%+ efficicient with a very low standby loss. It costs about $300, installs easily in a 100 amp panel with some breaker space left. With conserving use such as low flow shower heads. its will be the lower overall costs in many areas.

The tankless argument is mostly smoke and mirrors as these units are very expensive to buy and install plus will require an entrance upgrade ($2000+ )
and still not deliver hot water if two or more appliances/uses want hot water at the same time.

Check the specs and the arguments against them will be obvious…some draw over 100 amps at 240 volts…that’s a whole 100 amp service for just the hot water!!! Hot many extra dams/power plants will we have to build ust for the high draw created mornings just for shower water. Electric utilities should ban them as they add to the “spiking” they are trying to “load-level” to cut costs and be more efficient…meaning less plants needed to serve the masses.

Brian, Efficiency of the fuel source is hardly the be all and end all in determining wether to use gas or electric.

Yes I saw the amps required, that was interesting.

Fwiw, I have a 60 gallon electric tank, with an exterior insulated blanket.
The tank is also on a timer which is programmed to come on for an hour twice daily. On/off 2-3 am, and on/off again from 5:30-6:30 pm. Have never run out of hot water.

Wasn’t comparing electric and gas but electric storage versus electric tankless. That’s why I highlighted “electric”…for people considering electric tankless over electric storage…unless some abnormal situation, stick with the electric storage.

Brian,
I must have missed something.
If it cost less to use gas or oil or whatever to raise the water temp why would I use electricity?

I’ll never forget the first one we installed, the family hated it because they could only use hot water from one fixture at a time.
On the other hand we have a single man that lives alone and he loves his.

Sometimes the initial cost for installing a gas fired tank-less WH can get pretty expensive because a larger flue pipe is needed all they way through the roof.

In our province, natural gas runs by only 1-2% of buildings (if that) and many homes/buildings will never have natural gas. And there many areas in the US and Canada that do not have natural gas, so what do they use?

My answer was for those with electric heated water wherever so that they don’t get rooked by someone selling tankless electric as a big “saver”

Thanks, I get now. I told you I missed something.:wink:

Propane anyone?

Not here!!!

http://www.gov.ns.ca/energy/AbsPage.aspx?ID=1563&siteid=1&lang=1

http://www.conservens.ca/consumerinfo/residential/reducingenergybills/existinghomes/spaceheatingcostcomparisons

As you can see, propane can be quite expensive also.

(ps- I created the second chart in 1993.)

Our tankless is a SEISCO brand. Cost me $700 for the unit and about $100 for the wire and breakers (4total). I installed it myself along with the eletrical work so there was no added cost there. The house is new construction so running the lines was very straight forward.

We can easily take two showers at the same time ( I have 4 kids so we are defiently putting this thing to the test).

We primarily went with an electric tankless because we had a very tight layout of the house and really had no area to put a gas unit…not to mention the gas units seem to be quite a bit more expensive to install. AND, I would have had to hire out part of the install on the gas unit as I hate running black pipe with a passion.

Thanks David.

If they ever put in demand electric meters into home like they have in industry ,people will get a big surprise with their electric bills then when they get a huge price increase.

Cookie

Your right on Roy. I have talked to cleints that are associated in some form or another with the bug wigs in Hydro and that is exactly what is in the plan. Once the entire province has the smart meters (which are being manufactured and installed like crazy, if they are not yet in your area they will be) the price structure will be “reviewed” to reflect the true cost of electricity.

My father in law owns a tank less water heater manufacturing co.
AdTec Tankless

www.tankless.info/home.html

If you contact or buy from him, tell him I sent you. May keep me in good graces. :smiley:

We have a long house and, of course, the water service comes in on the end. The furnace and WH are there with the service. I hated waiting for Hot Water (2 gals. waste each shower). Put in 2 small tankless no more wait.