tapping into a/c breaker box

asking for info sometimes does not work Peter…by the time the poster answers he now has all the options and can figure out the question himself by reading them all…lol

BUT…damn if we did not give him alot to think about…:slight_smile:

I must have misunderstood this:

I think you did.

Erol writes: “* I thought the a/c should have it’s own dedicated circuit…”

I do not see where it says: " I thought the 240v a/c **condenser **should have it’s own dedicated circuit…"

*To me, "The a/c" is quite ambiguous. I see it meaning many different things. Not just one.

I’m only familiar with 240 volt AC condensers. And I didn’t think “the a/c” was ambiguous at all.

Most of us are Home inspectors and I think most Home inspectors think Air Conditioner when we say AC.

Erol did not state “CONDENSER”. He just said A/C.
The term A/C does not automatically mean condenser.
Yes, most every CONDENSER I have seen was 240v.
Yes, the term “A/C” does mean “air conditioning”. I think that deserves a big “duh”. By many things I meant many different forms of air conditioning.

I think I’ll lay low on this for a while. Some of you have no clue the point I am trying to make and are only seeing what you want to see. You must be reading with your “man vision”.

WHAT…lol…Ok Peter…now I know you are not refering to me fella…lol…You have to remember HI’s speak different things…usually when they talk AC they mean the AC Unit outside…so it is just better to give them all possible ideas and let them run with it…saves trouble…:slight_smile:

Assumptions are ( unless the OP states otherwise ) to me anyway is can be TAP into the outside Disconnect for the outsite Air Conditioner Condenser unit…

Unlike the holt site…we have to kinda Guess sometimes here…:slight_smile:

Actualy no Paul. :wink:

Actually I find this surprising with all the different types of A/C being used.

Being a tired old Electrician AC to me meant alternating Current and DC always meant digging Concrete No power tools when I started it was all by hand .
The first Power hammer I saw was a Cango gun and it weighted just over 100 lbs.
Never said after the first time I new what DC was.
When I heard those words I got very small and snuck away many, times it did not help .
I sure learned a lot about DC the first few months as an apprentice

lol…I got ya Peter…sometimes the lack of proper terminology by the OP is the "Means To End All " with trades that are not actually in the “KNOW” of electrical terms…BUT I understand totally…A/C can mean other things versus just an exterior Condenser unit…when most HI’s refer to outside AC unit they mean outside Condenser unit 99.9% of the time…:wink:

Damn…how cryptic was my statement above…GESH…lol

DAMN…now anyone OLD enough to remember before power tools MUST get a GREENIE BOX…

Edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rcooke again.

I got ya covered when I can give ya more Roy…I Promise

I see…but usually when they say Exterior AC I mean…they are usually speaking of the outside condenser unit…and in the electrical area and spat about breakers and so on…kinda have to LEAP on that one until the OP states otherwise…which in some case can be DAYS after the post and oh…100 relies later…lol

The short answer is “yes”, but there is a 99.999% likelihood that he did so noncompliantly and unsafely. Too much missing information to say for sure.

This is a pretty common problem sometimes. Isn’t it.

Ahhh…Disconnect for the exterior AC…NO you can’t…if they happen to properly put an ACTUAL exterior breaker box…properly wired and their is breaker openings…then yes…but I dont think this is the case marc…I would venture to say when he said AC Breaker box he means disconnect…but alas…could be wrong ( been before…:wink:

Yes, I feel the same way. It’s often difficult to formulate a professional response with incorrect and missing information given in the original query, and an OP that doesn’t care to check back to clarify. If us electrical regulars didn’t have such fat heads and an overwhelming sense of charity, we might wonder why we bother.

lol…I got the FAT HEAD covered…lol…but I am almost done with the charity part…thehehe

OH WAIT…I know why…it is because “Electricians” have the biggest hearts, Superior Dedication and desire to save the world from most certain death…lol…

How many Plumbers and HVAC tradesman do ya see on the boards…guess Electricians are GLUTTENS…:slight_smile:

GREENIE well close I learned how to bend 3 inch and larger on a greenlee bender 16 pieces I think to put it together.
2 hours to make a 90 degree bend no one shot bends 18 moves at two inches for each mark.
The pump weighed about 60 lbs and all those parts.
We would make maching bends never done any more .
Like wiping a lead pot head gone for ever.
Thread 3 inch pipe by hand.
Good old days Not in you life Cleaning copper buss with Carbon tett killed many people. Transite pipe tapers by hand.
Enjoyed every minute though.

Well I just gotta meet ya at the convention if you remember all that…WELL before my time and I am thankful for that…:slight_smile:

Funny how we always enjoy the past…once it becomes the past…I remember luggin around 4" Rigid and hydro bending it…and hanging it up 40’ high and…well I can say I enjoyed it now since it was 18 years ago…would I do it tomorrow…NOT on my LIFE…lol…