Target marketing with InterNACHI's new, free Pet Friendly inspector logo for members

I’ll have to get back to you on that. I can’t remember, exactly. Four is a large number when it comes to states. But, I assure you … anyone who is willing to sell personal information about pets and their owners to this vendor lives and works in one of the 46 states. :wink:

That sounds fair enough. As soon as I get my T-shirt I’m going to visit all of the RE offices in my area and start a mass email SPAM campaign to let All of the agents know if they’re not referring a Pet Friendly Inspector then they’re a moron.

To home buyers with pets, a lot.

For many of my clients, pets were part of the family - the family moving into the home I inspected. I heard that over 50 million U.S. families own dogs. An inspector could develop a Pet Friendly Checklist based upon Pet-Proofing Your Home - American Humane - American Humane.

It’s a similar idea to the first-time home buyer friendly logo: http://www.nachi.org/first-time.htm

When I was a top-producing REALTOR (closing 120 deals a year) I knew everything about my clients including where they worked, what sports they played, and what pets they owned. I sent all of my clients treats for their pets (along with several of my brochures of course). Those clients have brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, co-workers, friends, and neighbors who need my services. My thinking is that pets are hobbies… and I always tried to discover my client’s hobbies.

Sending a few brochures to a past clients along with a letter asking your past clients to give your brochures to anyone they think might need your services… really doesn’t work (it’s seen as junk mail).

However, sending a few brochures to past clients along with a letter asking your past clients to give your brochures to anyone they think might need your services along with a box of dog treats for their German Shepard… works like a charm.

How so?

Other than kid/pet safe cabinet latches which of those items would you suggest we market to prospective home buyers?

I think that a “pet friendly” inspector could be one who, in the interest of “marketing”, will allow the animal to finish before removing it from his leg.

When Fido has finished and is laying on his back smoking a cigarette, the “pet friendly” inspector will hand him a treat, a business card and will promptly forward all of Fido’s personal information to the appropriate vendor.

Good question. We have not developed an official checklist yet. But here are a few thoughts about being a pet-friendly home inspector:

• Take “a puppy’s eye-view” of things. An inspector could get down on all fours and take a look around. Check areas that a pet can access by way of climbing or jumping.
  • Look for choking, strangulation, electrocution, and suffocation hazards. Window treatment cords should be cut. No loops. Wires and electrical cords should be covered or unplugged.
  • Human foods and medications should not be left where pets can access them.
  • “Ladders" that curious pets can climb to access elevated areas like countertops and tabletops should be eliminated.
  • Indoor plants should be of varieties that are pet-safe. Lilies can cause kidney failure in cats. Other common, but toxic, plants include amaryllis, poinsettia, mums, and aloe vera.
  • Latching cupboards to keep them shut is a good idea. The smell and taste of some chemicals, like anti-freeze, is especially appealing to both cats and dogs.
  • Keeping the toilet lid down, especially if with the use of automatic bowl cleaners, will help to eliminate risk of poisoning. And it also prevents a drowning hazard.
  • Cats are known to fall out of windows. For operable windows, the screens should be of wire mesh, sturdy and properly installed.
  • Carpet isn’t the best choice for pet owners. Hardwood with adequate urethane finish is a common and easy-clean choice. Ceramic tile or another nonporous hard surface flooring is best.
  • There are outdoor plants that are hazardous to dogs and cats, including azaleas, some ferns and ivies, daffodils, and daylilies. Pet-friendly plants include bamboo and, of course, catnip.
  • Check with local authorities about dog fences. Dog runs are typically constructed from chain-link fencing, and they provide an outdoor exercise area.
  • Invisible fencing has installed underground wires around the perimeter of the property.
  • Traditional fencing is usually the best overall solution for most dogs. Fences that are of solid materials - usually wood - are the best. They secure the dog; they keep out curious people and animals, and are usually attractive to look at. Wooden fences can also prevent a dog from looking beyond its immediate territory, which helps reduce barking.
  • Conversations with my clients about pets are often triggered when I come across a pet door.

InterNACHI’s free monthly homeowner newsletter can be customized with pet-friendly content. InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

[quote=“bgromicko, post:27, topic:78536”]

Good question. We have not developed an official checklist yet. [

Well at least you have the logo ready to go. :roll:](“http://www.nachi.org/homeowner-newsletter/”)

Yep. And that is the point of this thread.
Circles are awesome.

And some logos are just plain silly.

Will their be a kid friendly logo too?

Pretty much the same checklist.

Think of all the time saved.

Nice chat Ben.

Thanks for the call. :wink:

Brown Noser ! :o

Here is some more brown nosing;-)

I think Ben’s list is a great idea for an upcoming issue of the NACHI newsletter and the client focused NACHI produce Home Maintenance news letter.

Confirms my point !

Eugene, the only point you have is on top of your head.

Haha ! I like you !
Why I donno’… You make me laugh !
That’s MR. Eugene to you !

On a serious note :).
What are the main points in the letter you like most ?

Oh just wait. You’ll be on the floor soon Junior.

Soooo !
You been trolling my site …? Humm ?

Brown Nose.
Brown Nose
Brown Nose