Tech Shield history?

Anyone have an idea when the product was first created? I tried the LP website but could not find anything. I remember it coming out about 10 years ago I think.

What’s Tech Shield?

Kenton,

It’s a radiant barrier for sheathing.

I’ve never seen or heard of it until today.

It can’t be that old.

A brief History of reflective barriers I found.

The history of radiant barrier begins far back as the early 1920’s when radiant barrier was used to insulate residential and commercial buildings in the United States. In 1945 the product was produced commercially by a New York company, but the government ruled the company a monopoly and shut down production. Radiant barrier was lost to the world until the mid 1950’s when Clark E. Beck, P .E. refined and led the Team Wright Labs pioneered the development of the product for NASA.

The concept of companies pre-laminating the foil to OSB is not that old, and is similar to the concept of the Nautilus by GP and other products.

However, these pre-laminated radiant barrier plywood/OSB sheathing products are very expensive.

I faintly remember working with my Father in the early 60’s where foil in rolls, were used behind the cladding of homes to more or less provide the same effect. Never really found out how it works.

:slight_smile:

It must be a location thing as probably 50 to 60% of the new homes have it now. 200k and up will definitely have it. Builders still sell it as an upgrade.

Think I’ll post this in the Texas section.

Forwarded to me by a friend;

**TechShield? **“Cool Co-ops” Sizzle in Hotlanta Friday, February 8, 2002 News Release No: 141-2-2
Julie Cole,
Marketing Manager, Specialty OSB
704-632-1451

LP launches new marketing programs at the International Builders? ShowAtlanta, GA. Attendees at the International Builders Show (IBS) in Atlanta this week will get their first look at the new Cool Co-ops being unveiled by LP to promote the use of TechShield Radiant Barrier Sheathing, an energy-efficient aluminum-backed roof decking.

As energy-efficiency becomes increasingly important to homebuyers, builders who promote the use of energy efficient products like TechShield Radiant Barrier Sheathing gain a competitive advantage. Dealers and distributors also benefit from proactively marketing ‘best in class’ energy-efficient products.

LP recently held focus groups with builders, dealers and distributors from around the country to that ask how TechShield sheathing could help them gain a competitive edge. There was strong support among participants for a plan to clone Roofus, the charming animated penguin known as TechShield’s own Ambassador of Cool. However, the overwhelming consensus was a call for a program that would make marketing TechShield easy and more profitable.

The Cool Co-ops are a direct response to what builders, dealers and distributors told us they wanted," said Julie Cole, marketing manager, specialty OSB. “It gives building professionals an opportunity to earn co-op advertising, sales materials, website participation, and lots of other great perks.”

IBS attendees can visit LP Booth #5840 to learn more about program specifics, and see samples of available sales materials. One of the most popular sales tools that will be included in the program is a display that looks a bit like the blue ribbon winner at a science fair. Known as “the heat box”, it provides a dynamic demonstration of how TechShield keeps homes cooler and saves energy.

“We have heard time and again, from builders who use the TechShield heat box in model homes or design centers, that it really helps sell the upgrade,” Cole said. “So, we want every builder who uses TechShield sheathing to have one.”

Builders, dealers and distributors can apply for the Cool Co-ops at LP’s booth #5840 Hall G. Applications can also be obtained by calling 1-800-566-2282.

LP is a premier supplier of building materials, delivering innovative, high-quality commodity and specialty products to its rapidly growing retail, wholesale, homebuilding and industrial customers. For more information about LP, visit the company?s website at www.lpcorp.com. or visit our IBS virtual booth at www.buildersshow.com.

:slight_smile: