Technical name

I can’t remember the name of these. I know it is to stop rafter spread. They are in the garage, first 2 rafters only. Is it just called a tension cable?

What you got there is wire strand that can be adjusted for tension via the “turnbuckle”. :wink:

Thanks John, I know what it is and how it is used. I just can’t remember the technical name of the system.

Hey Mike, I don’t know the name for them. Seems to me a ceiling joist should be there instead of some metal strand. That doesn’t look like any kind of standard system. Looks like some serious overkill if you ask me.

Couple hundred dollars worth of hardware that could have been accomplished with some 2 X 4s and nails, and done a better job.

They may not have anything to do with structural. Might be some set-up the owner had for hanging items, etc… Since they are only on the first 2 rafters, seems kind of useless IMO.

Michael, I don’t know of any other name other than a tension cable at the moment, but this is a pure joke.

This small roof can’t be pushing the walls out enough to warrant using a what appears to be a 1/2’ or 5/8" steel cable.
The capacity of a steel cable that size is in the 10-12 kips alone.

The turn buckles used are under rated due to the un-welded eye section and open hook end.

The clamps are backwards arse and they have saddled a dead horse.

This set-up could indeed pick up a roof if one were to install a 4"x4" under the ridge down to 30" below the top of the walls and run the cable under it and tighten the cable. As the cable were to be tightened, the roof would go up accordingly.
Then the roof rafters can be modified to pick up the load and remove the cables.

Maybe that is what was done here and the cables remained. :):smiley:

with the new looking wood in the front corner of that garage these cables might have been used to pull things back in position during a repair…perhaps someone forgot to open the door while entering or exiting the garage at one time…just a guess from looking at that picture

Have not heard that in a long time Marcel. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

That makes two of us Brian. It makes a very long time since I was told it.:mrgreen::wink:

Thanks for the info guys.

It made me smile when I read it. . . :smiley:

I was never much of a Rigger Marcel, but I’ve seen it done once or twice. The things that stuck were, Don’t walk under the load, stay out of the bite ot the line, and be very careful where you put your hands/fingers. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Handy man rigging, look at the cable clamps, “never saddle a dead horse” the saddle of the clamp is on the dead end of the cable, not that it matters.Who knows what this guy was doing.