TELEPHONE LINE GROUNDING/SURGE PROTECTION

Originally Posted By: jbowman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone have any information on this item. I am considering including it into my HI reporting.

Very few people realize that there are surge protectors for telephone lines. I found out the hard way two summers ago when the lightning gods fried my telephone system in my home. Well, to make a long story short, every item connected to the telephone system was fried. (Telephones, fax, computer, etc.). Fortunately my home owners insurance covered everything, otherwise I would be still buying. (It was a nice way to get new equipment).

The manufacturers of these 21st century items (computers, modems, fax equipment, etc.) never mention telephone line protection in their set-up guides or warranties, etc. As an extended benefit to my clients, I believe this to be essential. What do you think????

![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: kleonard

to protect eqiptment like a fax, there are two ways it can get zapped, through the phone system or through the electrical system.

Here's the problem:

The Manufacurers all told me pretty much the same thing, that if there is a lightning strike close enough or strong enough that no surge protector will protect any equiptment. They all also said the only way to protect equiptment from electrical surges is to unplug it.

Now I am not a GURU on this matter, this is just what I have been told.

On another note. The way to keep from getting electicuted while using the phone is to use a wirless/cordless phone and keep the handset some distance from the base while talking. The surge won't travel through the air. I read an article where a lightning strike 10 miles away traveled along the telephone wires and have electricuted somebody talking on a landline corded phone. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

just my .02

Kevin

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

icon_rolleyes.gif Kevin,

Thank you for the comments. I also have researched, called, etc. My general question is: Would it be beneficial to comment on telephone line surge protectors. Should we warn or inform our clients that surge protectors are good for subtle electrical surges, but are not fool-proof protection. The only fool-proof protection is unplugging your apparatus.

I failed to mention that I did have my equipment unplugged from the electrical outlets, but not from the telephone system. My stupidity.

What do you think.

Originally Posted By: kleonard

I know about them and my past experiences with them.

Lightning is still a very strange phenomena to us.

Kevin

Originally Posted By: ekartal

John,

Your good intentions may get you into trouble because that is way beyond the scope of an inspection. You may give the impression to your client that you're a communications expert and should comment on their fire, security, cable TV and antennas too. Just my opinion though. Do what you think is best for you.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

My inspection agreement specifically states that telephone, cable, underground wiring and surge equipment are excluded.

How are you going to test the surge protection devices?

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hi Blaine in sunny Florida, icon_cool.gif

That was my concern. Having these exclusions in your agreement then making a well intentioned comment about one of them. I've read this is where a sharp-eyed attorney can wreak havoc.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: jpeck

That probably happened because the phone system was not properly grounded.

It is rare to find a phone or cable TV installation properly grounded.

They are required to be grounded back to the electrical system ground. Usually, this is not done, the phone company and cable TV company just drive a small ground rod 'where ever' and ground their system there.

When a fault happens, like a lighting strike or a surge, the required ground path (to clear the fault) is not there. The surge goes where ever it can to reach ground. That usually means through the equipment, trying to get to the electrical system ground. This results in fried equipment.

I would not recommend surge protection, but I do write up improperly grounded phone and cable TV systems, for that very reason. Same with satellite dishes.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Quote:

I agree with Jerry, on this. In matter of fact, in the NACHI, photo section under electrical, they show an improperly grounded wire installed by either the telephone, gas, electric, satellite, etc., company.

I'm finding it hard to believe that it would be as dangerous as mold/lead inspections as far as litigations, suits, etc. are concerned.

There is not anything inspected, except the electrical grounding system. It's impossible to inspect GFI strip outlet's. That little red light, only indicates that the system is plugged in. (Some do have trip buttons). But these kind of ancillary wiring (extension cords, etc.), are not inspected by us.

For the benefit of my clients, I am considering utilizing something in my Home Maintenance, Recall Items, Tips sheets section that would make available to them, the pitfalls and misconceptions of surge protectors during electrical storms.

Any comments??????????

Thanks, John.

I guess I haven’t mastered this quote thing yet. I’ve quoted myself, sorry for any confusion.

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) I'm not CMI, yet. Guess I don't get a point for this listing. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

John