Tell me what you see or would tell your client

I don’t like the lack of supports or the compression of the ducts by tape where they leave the connection to the plenum.

I did not either even though it was tape that is designed for duct use it was improperly used suppose to be supported every 6 feet and I had that in my report. They also did some dumb stuff ran the drain line thru the safety pan drilled a hole in it they also ran a secondary drain above the garage ceiling and forgot to extend it thru the dry wall

Oh that was not tape where the duct was connected to the starting collar it was zip ties and installed over the insulation rather than under it

6 feet for vertical runs, 4 feet for horizontal runs… :wink:

I have no idea what that mess is, but I am guessing it is supposed to be a supply plenum for a forced air system.
If that is indeed what it is, here is what I would say is wrong with it.

The pipes or branch lines coming out of the plenum should have properly designed take offs that typically have 1.5 X the area of the pipe they are feeding.
Cutting the pipes directly into the plenum without a properly designed take off will limit the efficiency of the branch lines to carry the air they were designed to carry.
This installation does not conform to HVAC industry accepted standards and practice, therefore recommend a further examination of the HVAC system by a qualified HVAC professional.
(Erik S. is a Journeyman Sheet Metal Worker)

So MR Wizard when you turn on the furnace and everyone is feeling nice and toasty you are gonna smoke me with spending money on a brand new plenum by showing me shiny sheet metal pictures and saying it is less efficient ?

Does this trump my roof leak ?
How much is that gonna cost me ?

Now go away so I can figure out how to pay for my swimming pool.

The plenum is overloaded with too many ducts, this condition will lower and unbalanced air flow.

I had to post I need my computer…:smiley:

Erik the plenum does have proper take off collars the ducts were not direct to the plenum just can not see them because of the way the flex duct was strapped to the outside with plastic ties

Its not that there is to many ducts its there located in the wrong place

What are you smoking does anyone follow what you are trying to say:shock:

How do you know this without duct calculations ?

The only thing I would have to say is …
The ??? isn’t properly sealed and needs mastic sealer . Recommend a licensed HVAC contractor inspect the system to insure proper system operation.

How much to correct the plenum?
Lighten up dude…lol

Hard to tell exact size of ducts, but I’d assume the occupants are going to have some air balance concerns… most ducts are nearly same size and assumed to be extending different distances, not how I’m used to seeing it done, ie Trunk to branch via Wye etc.

What was your take Charley?

Depends on the static pressure in the plenum the registers need to be measured for air flow and balanced as necessary and yes at the time of inspection there was a air flow problem in areas of the home especially bedrooms

Roy
Troy was asking a question not making a statement

Bob I care less what something cost to repair not my concern I am concerned with right and wrong.
Do you leave something out of your report because it cost to much to repair???:wink:

OK ! Sorry !

Sorry!
I see that now .
Thanks

Being an HVAC guy I am asking your rough opinion seeing as how this is a private forum for inspectors we like to know these things.
Many inspectors do give rough estimates.

How do I know if the energy savings are worth it all the extra labor.
We talking $10 or $10,000.

What do you charge ?

Bob I don’t do energy audits my client was having a comfort problem and I addressed it. If I was going to repair the problem I listed I would have given the client two options one to replace the plenum and relocate the existing ducts roughly $600 to $700.00 second option relocate the ducts on the existing plenum and blank off the existing holes and it would be a ugly repair at a cost of Roughly $300.00 to $350.00

That is what I wanted to know.
Everything is about time and money.

“Whose time and whose money.”

I realize we always say cost is not our SOP but “I don’t need no stinkin badge”:cool: to help where I can and having a feel for costs is always important.

I might tell them to upgrade something saving them $500 in the long run that costs $5,000 to fix and look the fool.
I need no extra help there …LOL
Thanks Charlie.

P.S …not so big on energy audits here either when half the clients want that [exposed brick] look.