Ten Secrets to Extraordinary Client Care

What quality of service are you providing to your clients? Below is an exerpt from an article I read today that seems to be on target…

Ten Secrets to Extraordinary Client Care

So what are the ten secrets to extraordinary client care? Here’s my list:

1. Identify what the people keeping you in business want from you. Not what you think they want, or hope they want, but what they do want. Don’t know? Ask!

2. Realize that customers aren’t just purchasing products or services. They’re buying solutions and experiences. Many (if not most!) customer needs are emotional, not logical.

3. Look way down the road. When you drive a car, you aren’t simply focused on the ten feet in front of you. Instead, you are looking at what’s directly in front of you, what’s ahead in the distance … and what’s in the rear-view mirror. Using extended vision in this way will allow you to anticipate client needs, which is part of delivering extraordinary service.

4. Treat clients in such a way that they feel valued. Don’t take them for granted … and say “Thank You” on a regular basis.

5. Utilize the power of “yes”. If a client has a special request, and there’s a way to make it happen for a client, agree to do it (provided, of course, that you’re not breaking any laws or regulations). You can always figure out the mechanics of delivery later. Always give more than expected – not only does it feel good, it will differentiate you from your competitors.

6. Make doing business with you easy. The more barriers, the fewer clients.

7. Ensure your clients understand the machinery behind the way you work. Explain the processes, and the reasons behind your actions, so your clients understand “the way things work” and their role in the process.

8. Learn good conflict resolution skills. If there is conflict, be a good listener. Are you paying attention to body language, tone of voice, and the underlying emotions of an upset customer … or are you simply “hearing” their words? Unhappy customers are usually locked in emotion, not logic.

9. Make it easy for clients to complain. Value their complaints. And learn how to apologize sincerely if you have made a mistake or dropped the ball on something you promised. Then take action to make things right.

10. Ask for feedback, and learn from it.

I hope you find these tips helpful as we work to improve our businesses for 2018.

Thanks for sharing David. I love #'s 3,6,7 and 8.

very nice

Is this geared toward agents that refer or paying clients? Something that always confuses me in this profession. :-k

I don’t think that this was written specifically for the home inspection industry. This is just good business sense in general.

Thanks for the post David!

Tim

I know that. But we are HI’s and are reading it. So again, I ask…?

I’m gonna go with clients. #1 is really "set expectations, and get an idea of what the client may expect from their home inspector.

Agents come and go, switch preferences, etc. They are simply a referral base. It’s true, they do direct business **toward ** us, but it’s up to us to snag the client

I would say “Yes”. The article talks a lot about “clients”. Realtors are not your clients in that they do not pay you. They are consumers of your services, nonetheless, and if you ignore their needs and desires, you will not get as many referrals from them.

As I see it, preparing a thorough, accurate, concise, and plainly-worded inspection report is the key craft in the inspection business, but doing so in a way that builds trust and loyalty among Realtors is an art.

I agree with 9 of 10. Not #1 though.

I agree with Nick (not #1). You are the professional not your client not the agent. YOU need to tell them what they need, why and do it etc…

Jim

Wise words in general…
G

Good info…thanks!