Termite damage inspections

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I get asked to do inspections for mortgage lenders when they get a report that shows termite damage or fungus damage in a crawl space. Do any of you ever do these?

Jeff <*\><

The man who tells the truth doesn’t have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

deleted…Sorry Jeff.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Let me try this again. I obviously didn’t make myself clear.

Here you have to be licensed to do wood infestation/termite inspections. So the pest control companies do that. When the find termites either past or present they report it. Then the lenders often require that someone look at the house and report on the damage. 99.0% of the time it's just minor damage to some wood framing and there is no structural issue VISABLE.

I get calls from lenders wanting me to do what they call a structural inspection. I am not a structural engineer so I can't do a structural inspection. But I can go to a house and tell them what I find damage wise. These are quick and simple inspections to do and I could fit them in between other jobs.

So, do any of you do these? If so how do you report it? So you have a contract just for this?

I want to do these but I need to cover myself at the same time.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: loconnor

Jeff

I do mortgage inspections of various types for third party companies. This involves filling out a simple form. and taking photos. If I see damage, I take a photograph and write what I see. I do not determine if it's from termites or mold. These inspections, as you may know are to determine the general condition of the home, and then note any damages.

I have never had a lender contact me directly, or the third party company, to inspect damage already found, to determine if it involves mold or infestation.

I've marketed to local lenders for these same inspections but with no luck.

Most of the lenders these third party companies handle, do it directly through the lenders regional or national offices. Sorry, I'm digressing.

Does that help at all?

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: mkober

Jeff,

Isn't there a problem if the lender wants to call it a structural inspection, but you tell him you don't do structural inspections while you proceed to do the inspection for him?? If I were you, I would be VERY careful to make sure you and the lender are on the same page. A "structural assessment" cannot be made (legally) by anyone other than a licensed professional engineer. You may think you're only reporting visible damage, but the lender may have talked himself into thinking that you are doing damage assessment. Big difference. It wouldn't hurt to limit yourself to what you are legally qualified to perform and stay within the bounds of your "comfort level."

--
Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

mkober wrote:
Isn't there a problem if the lender wants to call it a structural inspection, but you tell him you don't do structural inspections while you proceed to do the inspection for him??

Yup. If that is what he really wants there is.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.