Test scores from PSI..

Where can one find more information regarding this suit being filed?

I ask as I just took the test this week and couldn’t believe how un-related some of the questions were to what I’d learned here in the Pre-Licensing Courses.

I was to a point that I was pretty skeptical of the training I’d received here, as a lot of questions on the test were pretty point blank, “According to NEC, IRC code for the following circumstance is?” and I can’t count how many times I heard the training speak to not being a code inspector.

Fortunately, I come to this industry with years of background as a licensed GC. So I was able to pass the test, but not by a margin I’m proud of.

It appears based on the posts in this thread that Internachi feels that the knowledge required by the test isn’t relevant?

Curious about the suit regarding what claims Internachi is making regarding the test?

1 Like

I took my test a little over a year ago through PSI. I was a little nervous going in as I though I was very prepared. I took the free test here a million times and I still had the training fresh in my head from AHIT where I took my course.

As soon as I started the test, I was convinced that I had the wrong test. I had never studied or was prepared for abut 1/3 of the questions. But, I did my best and passed. I don’t remember my score but is was pretty decent.

I’m convinced that the questions I knew were weighted heavier than the questions I had never studied for. I was scoring around 97% on my practice tests. Thee was no way I was answering 97% correctly on the state/national test. I was pretty sure I failed.

I’m pretty sure that if you study the material (Ahit in my case) and take the free online tests here over and over, you’ll pass the PSI test.

1 Like

Can anybody elaborate on the how or the why behind this suit?

I’ve recently taken the test and think I may have some valuable insight regarding specific questions and the formatting of the test, but I’m not sure if it’s relevant.

Alexander, the test is fundamentally flawed. It appears you figured that out independently. Please email me fastreply@nachi.org

The OP is a perfect example of why testing is needed. Somebody who purportedly will be inspecting homes thinks that the concrete anchor depth is irrelevant knowledge? Beyond f in stupid. Perhaps they are irrelevant to an inspection.

Is this thread for real? I may turn into a Dan or David or JJ .

It is for most practical purposes irrelevant.

Most real code tests of any kind are open book.

There is no need to know the entire building code to be an inspector, but you do need to know where to quickly find the pertinent info…
(i scored a 680 :wink: )

The details of how a home is constructed is quite relevant to home inspection. If the mind set of a home inspector glosses over practical requirements of construction, what else are they glossing over? Practically speaking, their inspection report would be gloss.

There seems to be a strong element from inspectors and marketers, who have no, or limited, construction experience to deny it’s importance.

It is self serving hogwash. They subconsciously know they are just winging it, but their ego is too large to admit it.

It is abundantly evident from this message board, that the most informed, practical advice is directly proportional to the construction experience of the poster. The more construction knowledge, which comes with experience, the better the inspector.

InterNACHI, for all the good it does, has a conflict of interest in stating otherwise. They are representing both parties of a transaction. They market to the uneducated and inexperienced, saying anyone can be a home inspector, because there is a large financial benefit. Where is the consumer advocacy in that? It is their only major flaw. The upside should be considered as well. The Home Inspection for Dummies approach helps expand the general knowledge base, and helps create a culture of striving, and better, safer, more economical buildings. The good far outweighs the negative.

Nick, and everyone else, has obviously considered all this, and therefore online training, CMI as part of a tiered system of qualifications. The college he has founded is another distinction. Undoubtedly there will be more in the future.

I took the test in November and did pass easily. The test is flawed because they ask questions that are not state specific. Laws and requirements vary state to state. I had an entire section on pools that in NJ are not part of the required standards or part of the required 140 hours of classroom training. One size fits all does not work for this test.

So they have no pools in NJ???
And a knowledge of pools does not help with your inspection of the home that includes plumbing, electrical, safety, structural issues?

But it is not state required:roll:
So it is ‘flawed’
Considering the litigation over pool safety issues, something is indeed flawed, and it might be novices second guessing what is important and what isn’t.

I think the point on pools is the fact that your classes do not cover the subject.

Also the book that is suppose to be the study guide for the test does not have one word about pools in it.

I learned alot from that book and taking the NHIE test. I do think there is lots covered that is not pertinent to being a home inspector. Also, I think there is alot not covered that would be helpful.

Jeff,
Well if the test material is not covered, that is quite messed up. Then perhaps a lawsuit is in order, at least to correct the learning material deficiency.

The point i was indirectly making was that eventually everyone comes across something new, unique and having a wide as possible knowledge base helps. One never knows when a piece of info will be relevant, there is no predicting it, even on new cookie cutter homes. The How a home is pieced together, most of it unseen, is helpful.

“Abjure the Why and seek the How”

The point was that the state requires a specific 140 hours of classroom training. The only time pools is brought up in the 140 hours is when we asked if pools were part of the standards in NJ. I am sure that other states have decided that other areas should or should not be included in a standard inspection. Any required test should fit the state specific training.

1 Like

The “study guide” is not an “answer key” to the test.

I’m sure it’s not this way today, but back when I went to college they did not give you answers to the test.

David,
When I went to school and college they did not give the answers out either, so you would have to have a comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter. That was back in NY state.

The first time I took a course, in NM, that taught the answers I was dumb-found ed :roll: ucated. It seems to be the norm nowadays. It’s what the student demands, not what the client deserves, that is important. They are the client for HI training. Teachers look good too when the students pass the test that they gave the answers out.

The title of the test is NATIONAL …
seems the test taker students are demanding that it be local and state specific. They do not want to hurt their brains with any over exertion. Why go above the absolute minimal effort?

Maybe because it is in your client’s interests???

If the NHIE study guide includes pools, and the state wants that NATIONAL test, then maybe they are wanting the novice student to have more than just state classroom training. If this is the case, then all I am reading is a bunch of WHINY BABIES. If the NHIE study guide does not include pools, then maybe they have a point.

Maybe I didnt word things just right.

The BOOK that you study, which is what the test is based upon does not have anything about pools.

When in college, do they have books you study to learn a topic? If not how do you prepare for the exams?

I passed it so no whining here, BUT, when I spend $2000 for classes and BOOKS that should prepare me for an exam which licenses me to do a job, I expect it to include the material that I will be tested on. Man, how childish of me.

Im not talking about the sample questions, Im talking about the 8" thick BOOK.

Have you guys passed the NHIE?

1 Like

When I took my federal pathology examination we were given 100 pictures of just parts of bodies and wounds and were required to determine the cause and manner of death…

SA Carlavitch-Smith (he took his wife’s name) was proud of the fact that no one could max out his test and caused many Special Agents to wash out at the very end of the academy.

I only got 99 right because he said that a 5.56 mm gunshot wound was caused by a “High Power” “Large caliber” gun shot. Well a .223 inch bullet is not “large”. Caliber is a “measurement” regardless how fast and how much gunpowder is pushing it down range.

I offered to demonstrate on him if he wanted to run down and change out my target…

… that was the day I got a 99% (twice in one day) on the FBI combat pistol course.

When you are inspecting, you are going to come across things no one has ever seen before (a swimming pool). It helps when you can think on your feet and assess the issue with all the other stuff you had to learn to be an Inspector.

It’s not just about what you can memorize.

But today, everyone thinks they deserve a participation trophy, regardless how much you suck.

Well looky there, you took an opportunity to tell everyone about yourself. Color me surprised. :roll:

I’ve seen lot’s of narcissists in my day, but never any worse than you.

Googling pools aint enough on a test like that one. Everyone offers different info on the subject but the only info that matters is the info the test writer is using.

Have you passed said test?

1 Like

I made two well written and factual posts about the test. They were both civil and accurate. Im done here.

It is common knowledge the test is not only flawed it is just bad. Sometimes you just have to say to yourself “Cool story Bro” and skip a post or two. :wink:

Jeff,
Yes, your posts were better written, the other posts were immature at best. I originally commented because someone was complaining about having to know how a home was built. When it was countered, by other, seasoned inspectors, somebody chimed in again - No, you do not need to know the details of how a home is built, irrelevant.

Somebody else said the NATIONAL exam was not state specific. The pool section was not covered by NJ state required … Confusing at best. They may or may not have a point, but they are not able to communicate what it is. And they are going to be inspectors.

Previous posts obscured the conversation, yours was a coherent response. Thank you.

As an aside, the NM real estate licensing has a National section and a separate NM state specific test. There are many questions that have more to do with reading, and writing, comprehension than any specific knowledge. They are testing the persons ability to understand, not rote memorization. I was told by PSI that 75 % failed the first time through. I passed with a score close to the instructors grades, who take the test multiple (10) times a year. 100% is very rare, somebody did it about 6 years ago, made a big deal, and everyone who has passed knows there was a fair amount of luck involved. You are trying to figure out the mindset of multiple people writing the questions, and how they would answer.

It mirrors the real world more accurately.