Testing Microwaves

This from Friday’s Inspection.
I do not know what the homeowner did to this microwave but the interior paint surfaces were burned in some areas and had melted across the top interior. Glass tray was missing. Door leaking microwaves around the perimeter of the enclosure.

Unit is a GE Combo Wall Oven / Microwave (2004).
This is a $2000 minimum replacement.

From a while back…
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09046.html

Robert,
Good reminder, but that recall would not be the cause of the issue Joe witnessed. It was based on the oven door not being hung correctly, and causing damage from excessive heat leaking out the door and damaging cabinets.

Joe,
My ‘guess’ would be from the user either using the microwave “for everything, all the time” including boiling water (can you say spaghetti), and possibly from using too tall pots/containers. (was the oven immaculatly clean)? I don’t think it is from using metallic containers as there doesn’t seem to be any scorching that I can see.

[quote=“jjonas, post:3, topic:63621”]

Robert,
Good reminder, but that recall would not be the cause of the issue Joe witnessed. It was based on the oven door not being hung correctly, and causing damage from excessive heat leaking out the door and damaging cabinets.

Agree, just providing info for make and year.

[quote=“rnewland, post:4, topic:63621”]

Gotcha;-)

No scorching of the door that you would normally see from metallic containers
the melting of the paint at the top
i had never seen before.
Possible from prolonged / excessive boil…
I dont know…
I just noted the deficiency
and leakage at the door
recommended replacement of the entire appliance assembly
($1860 - $2750)

Joe, that sounds like an awful high price. Do some of the cabinets need to be replaced as well?

Never mind. I see it is a combo unit with the oven…

Thanks for porting this.