Testo SuperResolution

Anyone have any experience with Testos “SuperResolution” technology? They say it raises equivalent resolution to 320x240 on the 875. It looks good on paper, but does it make for higher resolution pictures in the real world?

Thanks in advance.

Rear this post. I am contemplating getting the 885

I’ve had my Testo 885 w/SuperResolution for nearly 2 years and pleased with it.
The 885 is a native 320x240, and this is how it will perform in the field on the camera.
But analyzing in the IRSoft software its 640x480, without interpolation.
A major advantage is that the “flyscreen effect” caused by the grid between the individual detectors is almost eliminated. This results in a very crisp image.
But SuperResolution is not for fast moving targets as its calculated from 5 consecutive images taken within parts of a second.
This causes fast moving objects to appear with “shadows”.
But still for images with fast moving objects, SuperResolution will increase detail level on steady objects.
In IRSoft, SuperResolution images can be saved without SR and analyzed separatedly.
My experiance is that the increased resolution and reduction in “flyscreen effect” reveals more and finer thermal patterns.

Aksel Storm

I am new at this, so take what I say for what its worth, I have been using an 875 for about 4 months. I find it most useful as an onsite inspection tool, what I find with the IR camera must be confirmed on site with other tools and or inspection techniques.
The pictures I take are used for illustrating reports, but pictures are not the report, the narrative has to stand alone with or without pictures. eg air leaks detected around front entrance door indicate weatherstripping has failed, etc. etc…
What Aksel is saying if I read his reply right is that the upgrade will affect the resolution of the pictures your have taken and saved, but not what you see when you are on site using the LCD panel. Based on that, I can’t see doing the upgrade as the pictures ‘developed’ by IR soft are already pretty good for illustrating a home inspection report.

Give Jason a call

Jason Kaylor
President
AC Tool Supply
Net Zero Tools
877-207-1244
jason@netzerotools.com

Thanks all so far. Anyone else have opinions on this?

I have used every single Testo camera that has the SR ability, including the 890-2 which outputs 1280x960.

I absolutely does exactly as advertised. The pixels are very real and not “guessed” or interpolated.

As one of the posters already mentioned it is more of a reporting tool. The images can be analysed at the higher resolution within the software. At the end of the day you are delivering a better image for your reports, website, brochures, etc. For $395.00 it is kind of a no brainer. What Testo needs to develop is an app like the other manufacturers to use the imager in conjunction with an Apple or Android device. Then you could actually use SR more in the field for analysis.

SR is included with the 885 and up imagers at no additional cost.

I had to modify the attached image as the Nachi system wouldn’t allow its size. It is from the 890-2 with SR. It has been toned down to 800x490 to allow the upload.

Another less known thing about the Testo cams (the 885 and 890) is that they can data capture at 33 fps. It is a really specific type of inspection that doesn’t even require imagery. The client generally just wants the CSV file so they can upload the data in to their own software for 3D modeling or whatever.

Jason Kaylor
President
AC Tool Supply
Net Zero Tools
877-207-1244
jason@netzerotools.com