Thank You and Hello

Greetings. My name is Mike Nelson in Mesa, AZ, and I’m proud to say that two days before Christmas I FINALLY passed the national exam (4th time). For that, I say Thank You to you all! My mentor referred me to this site after my second time failing the test, stating that his last pupil passed with help from this site–I’m so glad I listened. This site was greatly instrumental in my learning the topics (videos and preparatory test questions for individual sections) and passing the test, and I wish to thank you all for the hundreds of forum topics you all chose to participate in that were super helpful in learning. Next step here–to actually complete the rest of the work in each section to become an InterNACHI certified inspector. First up professionally–submitting my mock inspections and receiving my license to actually go to work.

Frankly, my move into Home Inspection was a product of Covid.

2020 started out great for me professionally. In March I started a new sales position with a company I was really excited about–4 months later I was let go. Talk about a kick to the nuts! It was the first time I had ever been let go, fired, in that position.

In August, after 2 months of run-arounds (and watching several Mike Rowe videos about the skills gap and the trades) and several conversations with my realtor girlfriend, I decided it was time for a change. It was time to expand my skills.

After serious research watching YouTube videos and visiting various sites, I chose Home Inspection. The class was 2 weeks long, relatively inexpensive, 30 parallel inspections didn’t seem too bad, the tools needed didn’t seem too awful expensive, and I just needed to pass the national exam. I thought I could get into HI for a relatively small amount of money, I’d be doing good for people, and I could be licensed pretty quick and start making money again. My goal was be be licensed and working by the end of September.

Well, it hasn’t been easy and took longer than expected, but after 4 1/2 months of doing the work, growing, learning, inspecting and collecting more than the needed qualifications, listening to my mentor (Nick, Alati’s Home Inspection) and studying my ass off, I’m finally in position to make this official.

Things are looking up again. I’m looking forward to working in my new industry, putting my life’s lessons and skills into my new business, and look forward to a new life all together. I’ve got plenty of years experience as an employee, now I look forward to living life as an entrepreneur!

Happy New Year everyone. Wishing you all my best for a happy, healthy, prosperous, and exciting 2021! It’s time to Make Shit Happen. Let’s do this!!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, Michael! Best of luck! :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Michael, Enjoy!! :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome and best of Luck in Your new endeavor. Keep asking questions even when one of us bites Your head off …it’s all good…

3 Likes

Welcome Mike and congrats on your new endeavor. I think your sales experience will help in marketing yourself and your service. The biggest adjustment is going from an “employee” to self employed. Lots of pros and cons but eventually, the pros out weight the cons. Just think of it as a commissioned sales position with no benefits what so ever. Sell yourself, your work and gain respect. You’ll do fine.

4 Likes

That’s funny James–I learned early on, w/o getting my head removed (responses to the poster), “there are literally hundreds of forums on this exact topic”. I promise I’ll use the search function and do my best not to ask “stupid questions”.

2 Likes

Thank you Thomas. I’ve learned well it is exactly as you stated, “a commissioned sales position with no beni’s”. Onward and Upward.

3 Likes

Welcome…Happy Inspecting!!!

3 Likes

You’ll make it, Michael! Go get 'em!

5 Likes

Welcome Michael, I wish you all the best.

4 Likes

Welcome Michael, All the best!

4 Likes

Congrats Michael and welcome.

2 Likes

Welcome Michael, just remember perseverance pays off. Good Luck :+1:

3 Likes

Congratulation Michael!! … we learn something new everyday!! Hope to see you at the 2021 Convention of Nachi!

1 Like

Welcome, Michael. Good luck to you. There are many resources at Internachi to help you launch your business. Also your realtor-girlfriend may help to introduce you to her colleagues to give you a head-start.

4 Likes