The $500,000 Solution

Originally Posted By: wdecker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Stupid question (probably).

Why not have them re-do the foundation.

If I were building a house and had a sub mess up like this, I would have them re-do it. I would not pay them for a bad job.

I would also insist that that sub had insurance for such things. Isn't this an 'error'?

Or am I just urinating in the positive air flow.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Will; hope you are fine.

Repairing or mediating mistakes in the field require more information and knowledge of the subject at hand. That is why structural engineers and architects are at hand. In most cases where something like this occurs, it is the mistake of reading the blueprints wrong or was designed wrong.

The only thing to this resolve this is to work together as a team and things will be corrected to a fashion where it will be acceptable to all parties.

A mistake only becomes an error when it can not be corrected.

A team will compliment this to correction.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: wdecker

And when these ‘corrections’ become ‘problems’ later on, just because people messed up to begin with, the client pays.

Sorry, I don't mean to seem overly critical, but I just had an experience with a client.

Had a client buy a new, 4600 SF house for 1.3 M. Some minor things came up duging the inspection, but the biggest was that the contractor had built a brick planter up against the front wall. Problem was that the weep wicks were 3" below grade in the front. Called it out, but the builder kept saying I was crazy and the cleint's wife loved the planter. OK, their call.

Got a cal, yesterday, from the client. $ months after the inspection and close. I go over. The rim joist and sill plate are rotted. Guess what was on the outside. Client is all mad, and eve more angry when I remind him of the planter that I called out.

There are some pretty stupid builders out there. Also some stupid clients. Just wich that they wouldn't blame the inspector, all the time, for their 'errors'.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Will; I guess all you can do as an HI, is call it as it is and point out potential problems, as far as I am concerned you have protected your butt.

Good luck.

Marcel