The Death of Common Sense by Dr. Keith Swift.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/commonsense2005.htm

Originally Posted By: cnordby

Ah yes good ole’ common sense. The last house I lived in was an old 1910 bungalow. A new home was built on the piece of property the previous owner before us had sold. They built the house too close to our home. There was an easement sidewalk inbetween the houses. One day I was walking along and met the new neighbor who had moved into the home next door. I happily said hello and went on with my gardening. I noticed she took a lot of pictures. Of my kids…dog…cars parked on the driveway…me…my flowers. This I found very odd. I asked her what was up and she said I was walking on ‘her property’ I said well ‘how can that be? when the sidewalk is obviously as old as my house’. She just huffed and went inside. I later got a notice to appear in supreme court. Well to make a long story short…she lost. Our house had been there before hers, and yes the sidewalk was an easement we all could use. The moral of this story is…she didn’t use common sense. She spent needless money on an attorney…wasted her time and ours.

I enjoyed the story Keith Swift wrote.

--
SafeHOME
Seattle, WA.
www.signsbycheryl.freeservers.com

Originally Posted By: kswift

Congratulations on a happy ending. However, in a parlimentary judicial system, she would have owed you your costs in time and money. Regardless, justice was served.

Originally Posted By: mpasquinelli

Dr. Swift - Thank you for your articles. They have become especially relevant due to an unfortunate event that I am going through. After six years of building a successful inspection business, I am seriously considering leaving the industry. Clients have ridiculous expectations, agents want less disclosure and lawyers want and get everything. Anybody entering this business without taking a critical look at the negative ramifications are destined for dificult times. Had I known of the very, very, very high liability of inspecting homes six years ago, I would have chosen a different business.

Martin, I know exactly how you feel, deperately helpless, but please don’t quit now; we can triumph. Remember guys like Todd Bremer, who fought back against terrorism. Hope you can attend my “avoiding litigation” seminar at the NACHI and add your voice to mine. Good luck, in whatever you do.

Forgive the typo in my reply to Martin. I meant, of course, Todd Beamer, one of the American heroes on flight 93.