The seller of the property asked me to leave

I was at a property for thirty mins and I just completed the roof. When I got down and started the exterior I could hear the seller inside freaking out and talking to someone that I was there. The seller when I arrived seemed uneasy that I was there and kind of panicky. The appointment was scheduled, it was only me and the seller (a man of similar age and build). With in 5 mins of being outside he came to me with a phone with the actual owner of the home asking me to hurry and leave. I just replied I am sorry, if there is a issue I will just leave now and I’ll reschedule with the seller.

After talking with the buyer and explaining everything she said that we will try and reschedule. I requested the gentleman from before not be there if I am to go back to the home. I found over 20 issues with the roof and let her know that already. It seems like a reschedule is unlikely at this point. Should I offer a full refund or partial refund for the inspection? I know I should wait and see if it will be rescheduled but if not rescheduled should I offer the refund?

Personally I would not bill the customer but I am likely the exception and not the rule.

If a seller is uncomfortable then what are you to do. The way I see it is the buyer is equally inconvenienced and most of my referrals come from them. I take care of them and it will pay in spades.

1 Like

I am likely to refund the client if there is not a rescheduled appointment. I was also wondering though if this has happened often in your career?

Not often at all. Twice. Once, a tenant of the seller had a gun and I noped the fuck out of there. Found out the guy was 6 months behind on rent and figured I was there to evict him. I refused to return.

I invoice after inspection and prior to release of report. It allows me to make sure I can get in and complete the inspection before financially tying me to the buyer.

1 Like

Geez a gun. That is scary

1 Like

Personally, I’d give them the full refund and tell them about the defects you found on the roof. Explain to them the situation and and say whether they are able to schedule another inspection with this home or another house you’d really like to be there for them for that one and wish them luck. Give them your card and hope for the best.
Treat the clients like royalty and the favor will be returned.

3 Likes

So offer the refund now and if it is rescheduled just charge again?

1 Like

That’s my thought but really depends on how you want to handle it. This is a topic that has come up several times here and the answers always vary.

1 Like

I would not charge for that inspection.

I would tell her that I will do 10-20% off on the next one she wants me to inspect…within a month, or so.

These are trying times for people and if I can stay safe, help make someone feel good and make a little money in the mean time…I’m happy.

2 Likes

Great advice Jacob - Offering a full refund before the client even asks for it will show what a stand up guy you are. If they find another home, you will get a call. If their friends and family are buying homes, you will get many calls.
You made no mention of a real estate agent but if there is one involved they will also be impressed.

1 Like

I also would not charge. It is good PR and chances are the client will use you again. As Larry said, these are trying times in uncharted territories.

1 Like

“20 issues with the roof”?

I didn’t know that was possible.

1 Like

Lots of the same stuff just repeated. It was the seller most likely installing new shingles on top of old shingles. To give an idea of how bad it was, there was a mixtures of 3-tab shingles and agriculture shingles mixed in this install.

1 Like

How spectora works is that it will let the client pay before the inspection which they did. I offered the refund to them if they are unable to reschedule the appointment but also offered that I can process it now if they wish.

I read the OP three times and was still confused who the actual client was, it only mentioned seller and owner. Typically seller and owner are the same person and my client is the buyer?

2 Likes

Client didn’t attend. Owner was in a hospital and there was a gentleman there that I assume was boyfriend of the owner.

If you got paid just hang on to the money until the parties involved (this includes Realtors) get their act together. If you have a signed contract deduct a reasonable fee for time involved.

2 Likes

I’ve never had that problem because I don’t schedule the jobs. My contract is with my client and they are responsible or their agent is responsible for the scheduling per contract language. After I arrive on site, I am owed in full for the amount of the contract by my client.

2 Likes

I’m familiar with 3-tab shingles, but I’m not sure what agriculture shingles are. Did the look like this? :rofl:

agriculture roof

7 Likes

I did have one already signed as well. Thank you for the input.