There are more prisons in the U.S., than colleges

This is a problem that is created by overzealous prosecuting attorneys (all of them - win at any cost). Ironically those same attorneys have created the no bail, permissive no prosecution failings of todays judicial system. The pendulum swings both ways. Despite its shortcomings the US judicial system is far better than most other countries. No system devised by imperfect humans will be perfect.

1 Like

I disagree 1000%

Most thieves justify their theft in such ways as:
You have many, I have few.
My boss does not pay me enough there for I am entitled.
It won’t be missed.

Not to mention the 8th Commandment as well as the victim of the crime. It is wrong no matter how you slice it. This George Gascon mentality that it is societies fault that the poor steals is wrong and will lead to more breakdown.

3 Likes

What does a book from 1976 about interpreting polling data have to do with the subject? Just more division and diversion to sidestep a comment based on opinion, not facts.

One more time:

And let’s rearrange things for clarity-

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States,

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude shall exist within the United States, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall be duly convicted.

For me, the constitution makes a clear exception for slavery. In fact, the courts could provide a slave for me as punishment for a crime. You know, like they did with chain gangs who built railroads for private railway owners or corporations.

1 Like

Well I’m sure it’s a book you haven’t read. You do read books, don’t you? The date of publication has little to do with it. That’s called a straw man fallacy. You know about logic, yes? the title pretty much says it all. The comment based on opinion was yours.

As if statistics are guaranteed accurate, without bias, never fudged or misleading.

This book is 1993. you were probably born by then.

I agree, the constitution does not make a distinction between slavery and involuntary servitude.

Can you offer any facts that backs up your claim that the death penalty is a deterrent?

That’s often true and not the fault of the boss. It’s the fault of government. We don’t see all the wealth and jobs and technologies and businesses and infrastructure and innovation we’d all be enjoying if the government wasn’t taking so much from us, holding us all down.

Why, you haven’t offered any facts that it isn’t. Statistics are not facts. They are simply a compilation of data. That data may be wrong, inconclusive, and poorly compiled. Leading in many cases to poor decisions or simply misleading marketing propaganda.

3 Likes

No, it is the fault of the thief who lacks basic moral values.

2 Likes
1 Like

I do not disagree, but wages are often more of a result of market supply and demand vs. profit. Amazon could afford to pay a lot more for each of their workers but do not because of the labor market.

From your article, there is agreement here between you and @rkenney

" Between 50 and 60 percent of offenders have had at last one traumatic brain injury, and the relationship between poverty, trauma and neurocognitive impairment is well established. Comorbidity is quite common, especially the coincidence of substance use disorders and mental health and neurocognitive problems."

In my opinion, jail population has increased with no counter-balance of services. This includes mental illness facilities, drug rehabilitation centers etc.

I think the system is broken, that does not mean we should defund the police or stop incarcerating criminals. We need actual leadership with protection of the innocent on the front burner.

1 Like

Again, the law does not distinguish right from wrong, but only what is lawful from what is unlawful. Right from wrong is to be determined by a properly formed conscience, which is why we have a judicial system made up of human beings who review the facts and administer the law at various judicial levels.

Less than eighty years ago, it was against the law for a German citizen to aid a Jew (by providing food, housing, or medical assistance) that was hiding from authorities to avoid deportation to “work camps”. You may have heard about young Anne Frank and her family. Violators of that law would be fined, imprisoned, or both. Some laws demand people with properly formed conscience to violate them. Henry David Thoreau called it “civil disobedience”, a term still in use today.

A mother stealing bread for her starving child only breaks the law. She does not do anything that is wrong. It’s kind of like healing a blind man on the sabbath, I think.

4 Likes

And THIS is why…!!

Knock that down to 5 years MAX, and see what happens!!

7 Likes

To me, that sounds like some post modern gibberish.

I hope I am articulating my point with the following:
There is no right or wrong, only the law.
There is no truth, only your perceived truth.

In fact, I would further my point…there is right and wrong no matter what laws are written. Maybe we are in agreement, maybe not. Stealing is wrong regardless whether or not there are laws to prosecute.

I have never in my entire life ever disagreed more with anything I have ever read, and I include in that my readings of Hitler, Marx, and Pelosi. Thank you for the new experience. I really mean that, and not in a way to offend you. I reject ideas and not people.

3 Likes

That’s what Nick said!

6 Likes

I think I am doing a poor job in articulating my point.

I meant the following is post modern gibberish. I do not agree with the following statements either.

Therefore, when you say “stealing bread” is not wrong, it appears you subscribe to post modern gibberish.

I do not subscribe to postmodern or premodern gibberish. I am a conservative traditionalist who believes that a fallen human race, struggling to make its way, needs as much mercy as it does boundaries. The history of progress is not illustrated so much with a ladder as it is a teeter totter.

3 Likes