There is no right way to do it wrong

80x60 resolution IR cameras cost less, but you will miss 50% of the subsurface defects you need to find as an IR inspector. 80x60 resolution cameras are 400% below the RESNET standard. You will regret it if you buy one.

Read the specs carefully. Pixel specs is talking about the image on your screen, not the thermal resolution of the camera. A white outline added to the image does nothing to help the thermal resolution or sensitivity of the camera to find defects. It looks nice, but it’s not going to help you find hidden defects.

Go with at least 120x120 resolution, an mk rating of no more than 100, and good optics. Doing a make-believe IR scan may generate some cash, but it is ripping off the client at the same time. The extra liability is not worth it.

I have had two FLIR regional sales reps tell me that these low level resolution cameras are not intended for professional use by home inspectors. Don’t be fooled by the ads. There is no right way to do it wrong.

Listen to this podcast on the subject of poor resolution IR cameras.

Below is an IR image that shows how an 80x60 resolution IR camera could not see the moisture on the right side of the image, but a better camera found it. Don’t fall into the trap of a poor resolution camera when doing IR. Thanks to William Misegrades for the image.

I talk to inspectors all the time that have gone out and bought the wrong IR camera. It is really grievous to listen to their stories over and over. Please learn a little before you buy an IR camera.