Thermal bowing in walls

I had an inspection yesterday and the home owner said that when it gets cold outside an outside wall bows out and creates a 3/4 inch gap between his staircase and the wall. The builder and new home warranty people said that this is a common occurance and is called thermal bowing. I have never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else?