Thermal Imaging Equipment for Roof Leaks? anyone use these?

Originally Posted By: jwatts1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey Guys,

I was checking out a FLIR thermal imaging system… Looks like a great tool, very expensive gadget they start at $8,000 and higher, they look very useful for large flat roofs, condo complexes, commericial businesses etc.

Has anyone tapped this market? Roof leaks and thermal imaging equipment...I saw on the FLIR website that average job quote for a roof under 25,000 square feet is $2,500.... correct me if I am wrong on the square footage, may be less... but that's a good amount of cash... a few inspections would pay for the tool!

I was curious to find out if anyone utilizes these... my biggest fear would be to fork out the $8,000 and not have clients!

Let me know....
THanks,
Justin.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Justin, Rob Zimmerman in Orlando is the only one I know of that is using this. You might try to contact him.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Do you really need thermal imaging equipment to help you determine if a roof is leaking?

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Check out the FLIR website just type in FLIR on your internet browser and look under ROOFING. and you should see what these systems can do…

As for spotting leaks in progress, no I don't think you need the tool unless an area is difficult to get to.... but as for the tool being used for
(DIAGNOSTIC) purposes its probably tough to beat. Especially if a client wanted to save money, and only repair sections of a roof where the start of leaks were not visible to the naked eye....

Will I buy one? probably not... if there was a market for it, or if I found that there is and its profitable, I might consider it.

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/w/wellborn062305__002.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/w/wellborn062305__001.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/w/wellborn062305__004.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/w/wellborn062305__003.jpg ]

Rob Z.

www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: cmccann

John, I think the main purpose of the thermal is to determine where the leak is, not if it’s leaking.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Rob:

Thanks. Those pics really tell a story. How much after the rain were the pics taken?

Hope all is well.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: dplummer

I believe Flir also rents or leases equipment. Try it before you buy it. Thermal imaging is a great tool!. I’m saving my money for one. Jerry Peck also uses Thermal Imaging. Doug

Originally Posted By: rdawes

Before you invest in a camera you should invest in training. Training is key to successfully using one. Flir and other training firms have Building Science classes that usually last a week and cost around $1500.

Ron

Originally Posted By: janderson

Just remember that “thermal imaging” and “infrared” are two totally different technologies. Each with its own set of limitations.

On the FLIR site it looks like they are marketing infrared detection for the roofing industry.

--
Within the seeds of ignorance lie the fruits of denial

Jeremiah