Thermal Imaging... talk me out of it!

Thermal Imaging adds an average of 30 min on site time, more or less and
perhaps a 5 minutes on my report time to add the photos. I’m kinda
slow. I notice that I am getting getting faster and some houses are
only taking 15 min now.

I find that it actually cuts down the inspection time.

I scan all walls and ceilings. I do this with a flashlight and moisture meter in hand. It also gives me a chance to walk the entire house and see things like where is the electric panel, the water shut-off, the bathrooms, the attic pull down or hatch and to get a general feel for thr house. Regular SFH time, about 15 minutes, but it shortens other times.

Finding things that I would not normally find and that would otherwise come back to bite me on the beg end… PRICELESS! :wink:

I get so facinated looking at everything I forget about the inspection sometimes…:mrgreen:

Damn, I want this camera, right now. I’m pretty close to ordering the BCam and sign up for the training.

At least I can save flight costs: Flir is only a fifteen minute drive from my office. Getting to the training is not going to be the problem. It’s the costs.

For those who are providing Thermal imaging or even those who are pondering on purchasing the camera, don’t forget to sign up for their fantastic newsletter.

Most banks encorage their business clients to take out SBA loans. They are government guarenteed, have low interest rates and are deductable through your company (especially if you are an LLC or corp). Since you are buying equipment, they are collateralized and the bank has little problem with them.

Just tru to pay them back faster than their term.

Hope this helps;

Greatest investment I have had in this business I find something on almost every inspection that might have been overlooked with as some would say a visual inspection. I don’t leave Home with out it as a quote from JM

I performed a commercial mold inspect yesterday what a nightmare roof had massive leaks water intrusion into wall cavities mold growing on roof joist. Water had came down through the walls and traveled under the floor tile. When stepping on the tiles water would come up through the grout like a sponge

Thanks William. I have enough loans right now.

I’ll be attending the next Building Science course in November. By then I’ll have my camera for the classes.

David,

Do you use Home-gage software? Also I may be attending the same class. My brother is in Westborough and I will be staying with him but I would like to get together on some of this if we do attend the same class.

Curt

Shawn,
What camera do you use, those are some pretty clear images.

Curt,

No, I do not use Home-Gauge software. I designed my own 3-part forms and I do my reports on-site.

If you’re definitely going to attend that specific Building Science class, I’ll put my money up next week to reserve my spot and we can chat for 4 days. I can show you how simple it is to design your own reporting system while you are here. Let’s do it.

Did you purchase your camera yet?

The training facility is only 15/20 minutes away, for me.

If I bought a BCAM for $5800 and kept it in excellent condition, and if for some reason I had to sell the Camera 6 months later, what kind of price could I expect to sell it for? After a year?

David,
I use home gauge now and like it. I am going to see what my brother is up to (new baby for him) and confirm he is OK with his older brother knocking around his house for a week. Love to spend some time together if I do make it. Its about timing right now. We go on vacation in November, Disney…no lines to speak of and its COOLER! Give me a week or so and I can confirm then if thats OK.

Oh on buying the camera- Not yet but as I get closer I will. I am going with a FLIR BCam SD and I want to see some more reviews and see if any issues pop up. The cost is past my threshold of pain for making a mistake on model ect.

Curt

I have seen more than one BCAM sold on ebay that was less than
a year old, and they sold them for approx. $4000 to $4800.

Ken,

Why are you selling it?

If I even had the remote thought that I might have to sell would not make the purchase to begin with. Cannot get the cost of training back.

I don’t have one David, I was just thinking ahead. If I were to buy one and later had to sell it, how much money could I recoupe?

Ken,

Think positive.

Who has the best deals for a BCAM today?

tom

http://www.professionalequipment.com/flir-thermacam-b-cam-infrared-thermal-imaging-camera-27801-0202/thermal-infrared-camera/