Thin gauge EGC, Braided sheathing

Trying to use correct terminology so I don’t get criticized!
Can some of the more experienced help me out here on this. 1962 house, central NJ.
The EGC’s from what I think is called Braided Sheathed wiring is a very thin gauge, never seen these before. Are they ok?
And does that sheathing look burnt to you? Or did something else happen to it? And all that dirt on the wiring…

Thanks, any comments are appreciated. ( and correction of terminology)

The commenting will differ… Even though today’s NEC calls for minimum #14CU EGC for 15amp, #12CU EGC for 20amp, #10CU EGC for 20-60amp circuit,… (NEC 250.122) the older smaller gauge EGC should not have a problem clearing a fault on those 15,20,30amp breakers.

That is old NM cable with a reduced size equipment grounding conductor (EGC). Was pretty standard for a home built in the 60’s.

Thanks, you guys are great.
Any issues or comments on what appears to be burnt sheathing?

Eli that is a residue from the tar-like substance that was added to the sheathing of the old silver NM cable. I’m not aware of any major concerns with it. However, as a consultant, I would advise the clients that there is original, old, wiring present and provide general comments in regard to that. Old is old… the client needs to know this. They will usually not know the age of the cable unless you tell them :slight_smile:

How old is copper?

Thank you!

I would call out the amount of metal BX in the panel also.

Why do you consider it an issue? it does appear as if it’s double-lugged, hard to tell from the picture where its conductors terminate.

That metal “BX” is actually cable armor with the solid copper GEC inside of it. Also very common in 1960’s installations. Not sure what it would violate by being installed that way maybe the wrong type of connector.

It is what it is! Might not be what you would expect to see in new construction but…it has been there since the 60’s without an issue! Why make something up, that is not an issue,…just because it is something your may not have seen before!

Cheers

Hasn’t burned down yet, right :smiley:

Don’t suspect that it will, due to the electrical system. But might because of another issue.
Cheers

No amount, zero, can be in an electrical panel. It has to stop at the connector.

Exactly! What Peter said!

Peter is that an opinion or do you have a code reference?

NEC. Chapter 3 — Articles 320 through 340.

That’s about 15-20 pages of code can you narrow it down a bit?

LOL - When I took the ESI test, half of the credit per answer was citing the ‘correct’ Article.