Think we should open this up to all inspectors & public, possibly saving lives?

http://www.nachi.org/waterheaterdischargepipingcoursereleased2007.htm

Currently it is a members-only mini-course, but I’m thinking we might save lives if we just open it up to all inspectors and anyone else who wants access.

What say ye all?

What reason would anybody have for saying no.?
Since we are on the topic I would love to see an HVAC course.

Open it, Nick. BTW…please post the door prizes at precisely 1:15 Monday afternoon.:mrgreen:

My vote is to open it to all.

Nothing is free. We have paid for it through our dues. Non-members should pay a fee for it.

Jim King

Don’t all inspectors know to check for properly installed TPR valves anyway? It’s a pretty standard item - what’s all the fuss?

Unless you put it prominently in the public domain or a press release somewhere, the info will remain among inspectors, who already know and understand it.

I second both of those comments! :smiley:

Joe, it’s not a course about TPR valves.

OK. The open-to-all’s have it. Mini-course now open to all inspectors.

"This mini-course is designed to help the home inspector notice improperly installed TPR discharge pipes. "

Those are words directly from the course. I misspoke using the word valve instead of “valve discharge” buteither way it amounts to the same thing.

Is this some kind of secret knowledge? Seems more like Inspection 101.

Its a pure and simple “marketing” ploy to get to the magic 10,000 members, Geeze Louise…:wink:

I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve seen a TPR discharge line plumbed straight to the outside in PA.

This “101” course could keep a house from blowing up.

Anyway… We have educational offerings at all levels: www.nachi.org/education.htm and we are now the largest school system in the inspection industry.

I have never seen a single TPR discharge terminated anywhere but 6 inches from the ground (if they exist at all) on any inspection. Typcally the problem is no discharge line.

I wasn’t arguing the point that safety is good, I was just wondering aloud: is this not one of the most basic things an inspector is taught? If not, I wonder about the value of the education and training being conveyed.

While the courses share basic information I still enjoy them.

I would love to see a course on the following:

EIFS (identifying and reporting on)
Structural Cracks (identifying and reporting on)

In fact I would not mind putting a course or two together. How does one go about doing that?

You’re assuming that all inspectors are “trained” in some way or another. Unfortunately, that’s not the case, especially in unregulated states such as CA.

These “101” quickies should be free and open to anyone interested - just like the tech sections of most inspection related BB’s.

I am certainly an advocate of proper training, but sharing accurate information, no matter how “trivial” it may appear, is a good thing. . .

What could this be for? Why is it here?

Copy of 100_7528 (Medium).JPG

They can look at my portion free.

[quote=mtimpani]
What could this be for? Someone thinks they can build a better enviromentally friendly mousetrap, TPR disharge and drain line joined outside the structure, so it can be used to water the plants in the event the TPR opens or the tank is drained. Why is it here? Fear of the planet going dry and it’s the green thing to do! SIBAA

I say yay and with ye permission I would like to put a link to it on meetinspectors and my website to educate the public. What say ye?

Mark - that’s just a pressure relief valve. All plumbing supply systems should have one.

Why is it there? Where else should it be?