Think we should open this up to all inspectors & public, possibly saving lives?

True - I was making the assumption that inspectors get some form of education or experience prior to entering the business.

I agree it should be shared (in fact I think this is the kind of item that we should be helping more consumers and homeowners become aware of since safety concerns like this exist in homes that may never be inspected.)

My reaction was more out of surprise that this would/could be an issue that some were uninformed about.

I was surprised. I had no idea there were 18 codes relating to just that one little drain pipe coming out of the TPR valve. The end of the pipe can’t be threaded? I doubt that anyone I’ve ever worked with including code officials knows about that one.

I call it out on a regular basis. What amazes me is that the installers (plumbers) don’t know the requirements.

The vast majority of the this areas plumbers know it. It is nice to work behind educated professionals.

I agree. I have seen more than a few “professional” installations that were improper. In a few cases, it turns out that TPR disharges are an “apprentice” job and those guys are either not familar with the code, or they have 30 such jobs to do and rush to get them all completed.

re:TPR Inspection 101 items noted.
Number one: the tpr discharge is the WRONG size.
Two: NO discharge piping
Three: Bottom outlet inaccessible.
There are many others but these are the BIG three.
T.Neyedli
www:alphahomeinspections.ca

Jeff, The only place I have seen a tpr valve is by the hot water tank. I don’t know what you mean that every house has a pressure relief valve?

Hey Mark;

That’s an old style pressure relief valve. Newer construction now days have expansion tanks, normally installed above the water heater. Remember with the advent of anti-siphon valves and back flow preventers to the cities water supply, there’s no room for expansion any more. This scenario is caused by normal operation of a hot water heating system.

A combination, temperature and pressure relief valve (TPR) is different from a pressure relief valve (PR).

What you have pictured, is a pressure relief valve. I didn’t say every house has one, I said every house should have one.

As Will stated, many newer system will have an expansion tank attached to the system.

Here’s what our code (CPC) says. . .

and. . .

Last fall a water heater exploded in a mobile home and distroyed about of it. No one was hurt but they could have been. Many years ago I saw a film showing the results of a water heater exposion. The WH was 300 feet away and half of the two story house was spread out between. When it blew it went stright up like a rocket right through the house.
Oh yes! Open it up to the public.

Here ya go from a few years back.

Enjoy the show

http://www.waterheaterblast.com/

Paul

Joe,

Since PA does not License Plumbers, how do you make a determination with regard to a Plumber’s status as “Professional”, “Master” and/or “Apprentice”?

On many job sites where union trades are present, the apprentices are the ones who have not yet been granted full status in teh union and, hence, get the grunt jobs. The union plumbers and pipefitters who have been in the trade for years are often good guys to know, as I have found them very willing to share knowledge and advice, and they are not likely to screw up anything as rudimentary as a TPR discharge line.

Most water heaters in the U.S. are not installed by licensed plumbers.

In Colorado you have to have a gas license to install waters heaters not a plumber.

Even electric ones?