Third attempt to regulate MI inspectors

Rep Frank Acavitti is attempting to introduce legislation to regulate the industry, again. I suggest all of us in MI contact him and our local Reps and Senators to get this killed. I talked with his office today, and the bill is still being drafted. His email address is frankaccavitti@house.mi.gov, and his office number is 517-373-0854. If we don’t stop it, we’ll all be subject to laws being recommended by MAHI.

Let him know that the ASHI/ITA model he has been linked with has already been disclosed as fraudulent in New Hampshire, Missouri, Kansas, and Washington…and the bills went no-where.

Let him know, especially, that this make-believe “coalition” he is working with does not represent YOU or even a near majority of home inspectors in your state.

Let him know that he will have an even bigger fight on his hands if he tries to turn their marketing plan into law, since those in other states will be approaching the Michigan media with facts to disclose in that regard.

If I can even get him to return a call.

Try the reporter who wrote the original article. See if he/she would like to have the “full story”.

I called him this morning. He was only interested in the fact of pending regulations, and was waiting to see the bill before coming off the fence.

The other problem is the reporter got the “real” info from MAHI. At least he is keeping an open mind.

Yesterday I sent an email to Representative Frank Accavitti asking if he had a timeline as to when the bill he is drafting would be completed. This is the response I got back this morning:

Dear Mr. Miller,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

I am in the process of developing this legislation, and I will be sure
to send you a copy of the legislation once it is introduced. Please
forward my office your mailing address.

I look forward to any thoughts or concerns you may have on this
legislation.

Sincerely,

Frank Accavitti, Jr.
State Representative
House District 42

When I get a copy of the bill, if I get it, I will post it, unless too large. In that case I will email it to anyone who requests it.

Ken,

I Wish you all the best destroying this Bill. Make as much noise as you can and create your own coalition to de-rail the bill. Good luck and fight hard!

Interesting:

[FONT=Times New Roman]“As MichAHI continues to stand by our Mission Statement and the MichAHI Values, an impact is being[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]made in Lansing. Our state legislature and several departments are starting to realize just how firm and serious[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]our stand is on home inspector licensing. In case there is any question or misunderstanding, the “official”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]MichAHI position on licensing home inspectors is that we generally do not support it, primarily due [/FONT]to lack of evidence that it will accomplish any thing meaningful for consumers or the profession. However,
[FONT=Times New Roman]we are aware that some folk would like to license home inspectors. So, we are making every effort to educate[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]and influence those people to discourage the introduction of inappropriate or poor legislation.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]From: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]We don’t support licensing but let’s encourage appropriate and good legislation…What? :roll: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]How about we just say no since there is no evidence that it will accomplish anything meaningful for consumers or the profession? [/FONT]

Yep.

The same ASHI controlled coalition said the same thing in Missouri.

Ignore their words and watch their actions…as their appointed members assist the legislator in drafting his bill. It is being done right now, as you read this.