This a first for me TPRV

Good post Jeff! I agree 100 percent.
Too many inspectors think they are doing CYA when they are actually failing to do the job. I get tons of clients that dropped their previous inspector because he could not make a decision and issued vague reports.

got a call , form the listing agent Plumber said he agreed with me and is going to fix . So it worked this time . I agree with what you are saying Jeff it could go both ways . However if A licensed Plumber goes out to check and approves it i can not see how it comes back to me . Would he not supersede my opinion anyway?

Not if you’re both wrong.

If you don’t know, and defer it to someone else who doesn’t know, you could be considered culpable or partially responsible (in CA anyway) if a failure occurs causing property damage or personal injury.

Will Decker I believe has stated that if you defer to the contractor such as Electrician and he approves it, he takes all the liability.

True or not true?

I don’t believe that to be 100% accurate. I know of ongoing litigation with regard to this scenario.

If the contractor says “you’re wrong,” and the client accepts that, you may have a case. But, if you simply defer, and the contractor is wrong, you may be held partially responsible.

I’d rather take this up in the Legal section, if you like to continue. . .

I won’t be able to participate until tomorrow however.

Makes sense ,surprising change of a word or two can change a out come from now on i will say it is wrong and get a contractor to repair . I knew it was wrong but i have been in the middle of that too .Not long ago i got banned from a broker and 2 offices because I Pointed 100% something wrong .lol That got me banned from being used on any of their listings . Oh well