This is a test: what's wrong with this common method of wiring?

Anyone?

Photo 1 is in a crawl space.

It’s a prohibited application of NM wiring. Thats what the photos say anyway…:stuck_out_tongue:

I see the prohibited hvac wiring at 95% of my inspections.

[quote=“jfunderburk, post:1, topic:54793”]

Anyone?

Subject to physical/mechanical damage

As stated in other post you need to study more Joe . why is everyone coming here for us to do their home work. lol just teasing . to much slack by tank and no protection as the others said .

But it is neat. I think a phone guy ran the wires

Are there staples as well, because I have seen these wires be stapled to floor joists.

lol…I will let you all have at it but think of this…code change and bottom of floor joists in 2008…lol…not run with the surface of the building…and improperly secured in a few ways…lol…even to itself and…well…thats enough hints.

let me throw some STUDY code sections at [NEC 2011]

334.15(A)
334.15(B)
334.15©
300.11©

enjoy…can you name any others???

[quote=pabernathy;720248…code change and bottom of floor joists in 2008

…not run with the surface of the building

…and improperly secured in a few ways…lol…even to itself…[/quote]

I think you got it. :smiley:

I’ll have to say I wouldn’t feel comfortable calling out that method of wiring in the crawl space as a defect. You never see it in a crawl space run through the floor joists, as the code calls for. A basement is another matter and should be run through the joists in anticipation of a future ceiling.

If the EC didn’t want to drill holes in the crawl space you can simply nail up a few strips of wood and make running boards. Complying with this section isn’t very difficult.

As Robert mentioned, boards are installed to the bottom of the floor joist and the wiring is stapled to it. That method was used many years ago by electricians that new their trade.

Drilling holes perpendicular to the joist to run wiring is a no no.

Not all basement ceilings get installed. Then you start seeing coat hangers, rope and all kinds of homeowner ingenuities to hang stuff from the wires.

Another area where people like to run wiring is on the face of the girder or main carrying beam.
When the time comes to install a ceiling and wrap the beam for a finished basement, it becomes a problem.

What is so difficult to plan your wiring routes, install a 1x6 board and run the wiring on it and then jump in the joist space to go where needed.

It is all about the green back, takes to much wire. :):wink:

IMO there is nothing wrong with running NM cables through bored holes, with the exception of having to actually drill them. And running along a main beam is actually a good idea if you’re looking to avoid the drilling or running board methods. In many instances a 1X6 board won’t be larger enough to accommodate all of the cabling required to wire a modern home.

If in the case of pic #1 was there was an incloser , there would be no problem with that type of installation . In fact it is quite common in industial use . In the other two pics the cable of course should be armoured and fastened .

I don’t mean to say there is anything wrong with bored holes. There is something wrong with that when they are not strategically located so future upgrades to the basement ceiling is possible.

We all know about the clothes line affect in running nm cable through bored holes all over the place.

Stapleing wires on the beam can be done in the middle and not the top and bottom, so allows for capsulation later if needed.

Wires can run on running boards 6" away from the exterior walls, and not against it. Again allowing for future ceiling up grades.
I have heard about guard boards in my travels here also for wiring going through bored holes to prevent the clothes line affect. Does that ring a bell for you?

Here are a few pics for all, in case it helps.

running cable in framing.jpg

wiring in exposed basements.jpg
:slight_smile:

NFPA rough wiring in floors.JPG

Here is the bigger article.

:slight_smile:

You bring up valid points but I would add that none of them are required by code. Future planning might seem like a good idea but tell that to the average electrician who want’s the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to go from point A to point B with his cables. :wink:

That seems to be a similar problem with not only electricians, but plumbers and carpenters to. Take the easy way out, and not the right way that would make it easier for everyone else. They use to call it teamwork.
Seems to be disappearing. :slight_smile: