This week's (July 2, 2024) Tuesday Night Auction for Cozy Coats for Kids

All of the bids have a time stamp, it would only take a matter of minutes to determine the winner.
"Winner to be announced ASAP within 24-48(?) hours would keep Maggie from having to be on the MB late on a Tuesday night.

Ive been watching the comments, and I decided to give my opinion. Both sides have valid arguments, but Dave made a good point that you will get bid snipers with a cut off time, even if that snipe was only $1 higher. Obviously, the intent of the whole auction is to get as much $ as possible for charity.

So, here is what I propose: Rather than having a timer that someone has to monitor, or a cut off time, let the bidding continue past the cut off time. However, to keep from sniping, and to keep from requiring Maggie from screen watching, just say any bid over 9PM is still active, as long as it was within 5 min of the previous bid.
That way, if 2 or 3 people want to battle over the item, they can keep going at it until someone waits more than 5 min. This wouldnt require monitoring, because of the time stamps.

Example:
If someone bids at 8:59, and then someone else at 9:03, 5 min is plenty of time for the previous bidder to either bid again or bow out. If another random bidder comes in at 9:09, it was too late. Bidding would have stopped at 9:08 in this instance. So, 9pm would start this 5 min bid increment timer, and everyone has a last chance to stay in.
I think its stupid if someone has a bid for a gold coin at $2250, only to lose it at 8:59 for a bid at $2251, when they didnt have a chance to bid again at 8:59:59.

2 Likes

Hi, all. Sorry for the confusion. I sometimes mess up due to the timezone changes and the timestamp when traveling…

Yes, a bid at 9 PM would win. I now see that I announced the wrong winner based on this. @ringalls is actually the winner according to the rules in the original post.

Please note the winner may not be announced exactly when the auction ends depending my schedule. I may announce the winner sometime within the following 24 hours by reviewing the timestamp.

2 Likes

There you have it guys…

Congratulations on the win @ringalls !! :boom: :partying_face: :boom:

1 Like

Thank you!
We appreciate you Maggie.

Thank you, Maggie.

Thank you, Larry.

1 Like

Congrats Richard. :+1:

1 Like