Tilt Wash Windows and Glass Block

I have a client with tilt wash windows that have impact glass etched with no labels on the window frame, also glass block and a lot of it. Trying to verify the windows with the sash being held in with 2 little clips. Has anyone come across tilt wash windows here in FL. They are common up north on Long Island.

Morning, Chris. Hope this post finds you well.
I think you are referring tom Glass Brick.
Glass brick, also known as ‘glass block’ is an architectural element made from glass. The appearance of glass blocks can vary in color, size, texture and form. Glass bricks provide visual obscuration while admitting light. The modern glass block was developed from pre-existing prism lighting principles in the early 1900s to provide natural light in manufacturing plants.

Its not Glass Brick, on the Florida Uniformed Wind Mitigation form 1802 it is referred to as Glass Block. I have yet to see labels or etching for Glass Block. My research on this will continue.

UpCodes.Section 2406 Safety Glazing.
2406.1.3 Glass Block

Glass-block walls shall comply with Section 2110.
In my neck of the woods it falls under masonry.

1 Like

What county is the home in.

Permit search?
Send me the address, perhaps it’s in there to use for confirmation on Buildfax.
inspect@alltropic.com

Unverified at best. Unverified is subjective so up to your research.

To my surprise the client was able to produce paper work that verified the Tilt Wash Windows, Glass Block and all his opening protections. This does not mean that all Tilt Wash Windows and Glass Block are impact rated. It would be much easier if the manufacturers would label the windows and all the products since Florida has such strict insurance requirements.

2 Likes