TJI Joists Issues with Builder

I recently had my frame inspection (Phase II) done on my new 2nd story construction home by an licensed inspector and he found that my TJI had major problems with them. He stated on his report that the TJI Joists where not installed to manufacures specifications. Alot of field cuts caused the issues. He suggest a structural engineer do a full evaluation of all TJI floor joist. I forwarded his report to by builder’s construction manager, it took him about a week to get back to me. I will try to post of pictures of the issuses and my builder’s repairs. There is alot of pictures but I can not post them all. To me it looks like they nailed a board over the holes like some bad patch job. I need some help to see if this type of repairs are good. Should I hire my own structural engineer? Should I close on the home?

You can download the installation instructions. They’re pretty self explanatory.

I worked for Trus Joist for 20 years. Seen this all the time, especially from plumbers. There are built in knockouts for the electrical, so I wouldn’t worry about those but the plumbing one’s could be an issue, especially if they cut through the top or bottom chord. As Frank noted there should be some installation instructions on their website that show where you can place holes in the web and how big they can be. Trus Joist was purchased by Weyerhaeuser at the end of 1999. So you’ll have to go to their website. It’s up to you to decide whether to bail on the purchase or not.

Aside from the hack job, I see a damaged upper flange.

If I were you I would contact the manufacturer and send them all the pictures you can and see what they have to say, you should also contact an SE to evaluate the damage and any subsequent repairs.

Here is a link with some good information on the subject.

If you feel you are having issues the builder will not deal with, or will not deal with properly, you do have options. I do recommend you take your documentation to the local Building Inspections Department, the Authority Having Jurisdiction over construction (AHJ) if this is being built under permits. Ask the AHJ to revisit the home and re-inspect the issues noted. Ensure that you have the manufacturer references and documentation as well. If the AHJ is not willing to perform this you can hire a licensed Structural Engineer for a full review of the home’s framing and other activities. When the SE issues their report, and if it contains lists of these issues, you can again visit the AHJ and provide them the SE’s report and once again ask they re-visit and re-inspect the home.

Once you have completed the above you can then make your decision on what actions to take next. For that you should also consult with an Attorney who specializes in new home construction issues. You do not state where you are building and that can help others point you in the directions you might need.