to certify or not to certify (posted by Joseph Biddle)

[ASKNACHI]This question was posted on by Joseph Biddle (from Austin, Texas). [/ASKNACHI]what are your opinions on how to “certify” a home with an old a/c (18 years old) that is cooling too high (27 degrees)?
Is is to certify with repairs, certify with repairs including up to possible replacement, or not certify untill operating under normal ranges

Joey Biddle Trec # 4337

Where did you get 27 degrees?

Cooling too high or too low?

Do u mean a “high split”?

You need more than a dry bulb temp split to “certify” anything.

Fill us in a little better.

I am guessing you are talking about the difference between the supply and the return air. Just because it is over 20 degrees does not mean there is a problem. When I owned a heating and cooling company I have seen several over 30 degrees difference and they ran fine. If you feel it is a problem such as an A-coil dirty or blocked, you could refer it to a licensed HVAC technician for further evaluation.

If you have been asked to provide “certification” for your HVAC system (sometimes required by certain municpalities/counties for residency permits), it will be required to have a licensed (or other officially recognized) HVAC specialist provide that certification.

As a building inspector for two municipalities in the St. Louis area, I will often find amateur work done on furnaces, air conditioning units, and ductwork/exhaust without permits during an inspection. I will simply require the owner of the property, prior to issuing an occupancy permit, to provide certification by a licensed HVAC technician that the unit is properly installed and that all of the work meets the present code.

This certification usually costs the homeowner as much, if not more, than what they saved by having their cousin’s brother-in-law’s nephew do the work…but it provides the city with a bonded professional taking responsibility for the work that was done.