To Many People?

No kidding! I’ve had this too. And even if they don’t speak the words, I pick up on the feeling right away that they ‘feel’ like they aren’t allowed to be there when I’m around. I make it very clear to them that I am a guest in their home and more often than not - if they haven’t picked out a HI yet - I get a call.

But I don’t do it TO get the call… I am sincere when I tell them that this is their home and I am their guest, as this is how I feel.

No neglecting necessary! I had a feeling you’d have done that! :smiley: I do the same thing… pose for pictures with my clients… they love it! I swear… the big-cheesy-grin-shot I took of my client craning his head and neck up to peer in the attic while I was up there (which I put in the report) kept me in his good books when he called a couple monthls later to complain about a hole in the wall that the homeowners intentionally hid. I become “Arne” as opposed to a company called “west coast home inspections ltd”… and they like Arne.

It sure does slow down the inspeciton. I feel ya on limiting the people.
You dont need every Tom, Dick and Harry giving false info.

David
Pyramid-Home-Inspections

When one get to that point, one knows that the war is won. Congratulations!

For those of you who are routinely starting the inspection before the client arrives, how are you dealing with the liability issues involved in starting the inspection before the contract is signed? Or, are you getting it signed earlier?

I get the agreement signed in advance so the client has a chance to read and understand it as needed. :wink:

Part of my info-gathering conversation I have with them includes their email address. I write up the contract after our conversation (saved as a PDF) and email it to them ahead of time. I ask them to read it over, sign it and fax it back to me, or else bring it with them to the inspection - either way they have been given every opportunity to go through the contract as well in advance as possible, which is what the issue is really about.

Thank you all for your great replies. It is more then missing something, it is the respect of the sellers home and belongings. Some people have no respect for other people’s belongings, be it the house or the coke in the fridge. This has been the 3rd time this month that a buyer has complained about the “inspection” going on in their house during one of our inspections. I just feel that the buyers, who have been warned verbally and through email not to bring a hord of people. The time to do that is during the final walk through, not during the inspection. Someone posted that they use the time to also interact with the seller, as they may choose you to be their inspector. At the rate we are going, we will never earn the seller’s respect if we allow these people to bring so many people.
Again, Thank you for your input!

I never set foot on someone else’s property without a signed contract. It’s that signed contract that puts not only my E&O insurance in force, but it also puts my GL, workers’ comp, AD&D, and life insurance in force. Especially in this no-licensing-for-home-spectors State of California, I would never do 99.9% of the stuff that I do during the course of my property inspections without having GL, workers’ comp, AD&D, and life insurance in force.

If I get to the property early, I’ll drive around the neighborhood and look for houses that I might be interested in buying, or telling some of my SDCIA friends who use me for WALK inspections about it, or just looking at some of the landscaping since I love landscaping. I’ll also take advantage of the extra time to eat something, work on the computer (many times I’ll find a hot spot and can log onto the NACHI site and keep abreast of the latest controversies and bashings), read The Inspector or The Earth Chronicles, or even take a short nap using the alarm on my cell phone.

I had thought about getting them to sign it in advance, but too far in advance might mean that I just got an alert from our corporate attorneys or my own real estate attorneys that would cause me to change some wording in my contract or alter it in some other way. So while I send the agreement within hours, sometimes minutes, after scheduling the inspection, I have them sign it at the actual time of the inspection unless other arrangements have been made (like they are not going to be there).

More than just the client and partner is violation of understanding by the owner - the house has not been sold and remain property of owner who hav not allowed all and sundry in - like being asked to house sit and you invite large nums of people over. - not OK - and then you have to arrange afterwards aobut items they forgot on property - NO!