To measure or not to measure (tape)

I like that Robert.

In other words, it’s best to carry a tape measure or a measuring device. We need to quit getting willy nilly on this “law suit” stuff…just saying…

4 Likes

wow ! congratulations Guys You have slidden waaaaay off topic… :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Surprised? :laughing:

3 Likes

yeah…not so much…but it wasnt my fault this time…

1 Like

How come you don’t include a photo in the report with your tape?
Here are some examples of my including the tape measure. Attic spaces with insufficient insulation, riser height difference, guardrail too low, plumbing stack too low etc…

2 Likes

I choose not to. There are many things I do not measure or that I might measure but let it go. I inspect homes throughout many eras and when shall I apply this standard and use a tape on one home and not another? Or on one component and not another?

Example, did you measure the TPV pipe discharge pipe? The auto garage door optical sensor? The height between the top of the stove and the bottom of the range? The width of the sidewalk? The length of the dryer duct? The distance between electrical receptacles? The height of the electrical panel? The distance between the center of the toilet and the cabinet, wall or across to the tub? The span on the deck or roof rafters?

Sure, you eyeball these things and may pop out a tape to confirm your suspicions. But, when you start showing measurements…someone might find you negligent for missing an important measurement.

Furthermore, I can describe all the defects you just demonstrated with a tape measurer without using a tape measurer or implying I used one.

Example. Hearth extension was too narrow. Per modern building standards hearth should be blah blah…recommend correction.

Vent pipes were too short. Per modern building standards blah blah

Steps had inconsistent rise, per modern building standards the maximum difference in rise should be…blah blah.

1 Like

In a nut shell. If it is visibly off a tape measure or level would be a good option to use.

I use a ruler everyday, just lost another one yesterday. Dangit!
zhN3oJ_071

1 Like

WOW - you travel in time also!

4 Likes

What about wind mitigation where insurance carrier xyz wants to see a picture showing the nail spacing on the roof decking?

I do not do wind mits. I have no idea. Are wind mits a full home inspection using our sop? Or something else? I suspect that will have a bearing.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

No, wind mit is mostly a coastal hurricane thing. If your not in one of those areas like Florida, you will likely not perform a wind mit. I attached a pic from one of the InterNACHI courses on wind mit showing how the roof decking attachment has to be measured.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Nail Spacing.png

1 Like

I see it has a different sop requiring measurements vs a standard home inspection?

For the record, I never said not to measure things. I do it myself.

I just found a way in my narrative and photo’s not to box myself in and still provide the needed information.

In fact, I am not passionate about not including measurement photos. It is just my way of doing things and I have my reasons. Reasons others may not have considered. They are welcome to toss my reasons aside and do it their way. (my personal photos will often contain measurements).

Furthermore, which may seem contradictory to some. I do show concrete crack measurements in my photos in order to provide scale.

So you do add pictures! :sunglasses::sunglasses: haha.

Indeed. To add scale to a photo. Concrete cracks can look huge or small depending on your camera position. I could use other items such as a coin or a pen, but I like a small metal mechanics ruler best.

Hi Brian,

Correct on different SOP. Also, agree with everything you said. I guess the takeaway for me is take the photos for your own knowledge, but choose wisely before documenting them in a report. Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society and there is always some slick high paid lawyer looking for a payout.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

1 Like