To offer Radon outsourced to other HI

Originally Posted By: jdavidson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

We are just getting into Radon and have a few questions:

Does anyone offer radon to others HI?

If so how much of a discount do you give?

Do you think you would be ?giving away? business that would have came your way anyway?

Is it worth 2 trips to a house if you don't have the HI?

Any thoughts?

--
John Davidson
Heads Up Home Inspections
Morton, IL

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

When I lived in an area that radon tests were the norm, I found a guy who did nothing but radon tests, and worked a deal with him. The normal going rate for radon was $129. We worked out a deal so that for me simply calling him for all of my radon tests I made $30 per. I didn’t ever have to go back to a house to pick up e-perms or a monitor, pay equipment rental or upkeep or anything else. Let’s see, 250 per year x$30 for a phone call (actually a fax). I found it much better than when I had continuous monitors the first couple of years.

I also didn't have to worry about losing inspection business to a competitor who offered radon testing with his inspections.

Originally Posted By: tgardner

John,

I do the same as Blaine currently. My Radon Guy is also a mitigator, so he stands to benefit from my clients. I make $35 per on a $95 inspection.

tg

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

WOW, guess I should have asked before I got the lic and when to all the trouble.

Maybe I can be that guy that give the $25.

--
John Davidson
Heads Up Home Inspections
Morton, IL

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.nachi.org/dear_nachi3.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Blaine, how did you advertise to the realtors about Radon testing when you subed it out?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

James,

Either the person calling for the inspection asked if we did it, or we asked if they wanted it. Radon is a very common test in northern VA. Very few of the inspectors there don't offer radon tests somehow.

One desperate guy was offering a free radon test with an inspection. His prices were lower than mine. I guess he must have done really good inspections ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Originally Posted By: jrooff

So there was no problem using a sub to do your radon testing?

Originally Posted By: rkulla

It seems like there could be some issues here. Having the guy that does the radon test be the same guy that does the mitigation to the home or even offers that service? That kind of goes against our SOP. such as no inspector should offer to fix any issues in the home. Or am I looking at it wrong? icon_eek.gif

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093