To price or not to price on website?

Does that include a Free 90 Day Warranty?

Wow lots of great feedback

I called one of my competitors the other day to see what they were up to and this guy almost begged me to hire him, he went from $279 all the way to $150. This guy has at least a decade of experience on me. Im 29 and I have been in the business for 5years now, most inspectors in my area are out of business or they just can’t afford to pay their phone bill.

Hang in there, if you can ride out the storm you will be set when your market changes and the herd has been thinned.

Thanks everyone

I am with Nick on his World Tour - this came up at the meeting. You absolutely never publish prices, on your website, your brochures, your business card or anywhere else. This is the number one reason people call and you want that call…

Then you get a chance to let them know WHY they want to choose you - even though you are a hundred dollars more…

Mike Crow
Be successful… and Be Around Those That Are Successful.
www.MikeCrowNow.com
www.MikeCrow.com
[RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]

Great!

I dont have time to give a long winded sales pitch to everyone that calls. I am too busy inspecting houses. To each his own.

Recommend; If you do advertise price; the lowest price that service.

IE: Prices starting at. 400.00 This is just an example.

Individuals that do advertise price normally have a client base and referrals. They are full time HI’S that have a name.

I do not advertise price. To many types of inspections. to many variables. Size, amenities, year(post 1950’s) etc.
Good luck. All the best.

Agreed Robert.

It’s not that you need a long drawn out sales pitch to close. But in a couple minutes you can make someone feel comfortable about hiring you. I do not have a hard sell/close technique or anything like that. I can give a prospect a quote in a couple minutes and answer any questions as well. To me, it’s part of the job. I ask some questions, we talk, I usually review the schedule as thats the pressing deciding factor, and we get to price too.

Be nice. You can see most new and even older HI’s dilemma can be marketing. This topic Home Inspection eludes MOST when marketing. They can not see the forest from the trees. In more ways than one. I had to make a double take. As explained I just woke-up–(Free groceries?):roll:

HA HA HA HA
Stop it. I just work up.
HA HA HA. Any size Brain.

My take on threads topic is, If you do not advertise price the prospective client will phone your number just “out of curiosity.” Human nature I guess.

At that moment you get to practice your (***well rehearsed ***sales narrative) on why you do not do brain surgery any more and on any size brain and have it diagnosed before they get off the table.
Excuse yourself at ONCE to the prospective client explaining your anesthetic has worn off seeing you accidentally ***anesthetized yourself ***and you realized (Wait A moment here, I am a HOME INSPECTOR!!!).

No one making fun. I personally would revolved any free bees around home inspections.

I myself looked at the leading home inspectors web pages all around North America when I had certain questions.
Set yourself apart so you do not look like the rest of the LARGE heard of roaming cats vying for the same cat nip. $$$$$.
JMO

I just revamped my website today and opted to exclude the prices

Just onE more note.
Sometimes a well placed link will exclude all the words that can make the potential clients brain swell.
Then you are back to marketing free brain surgery.
Not that perplexing with a KISS.
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUDENT.

It comes down to this . . .
I believed as you do, for many years. If I’m buying a car, I reasoned, I want the price in the ad, otherwise I’ll skip it.
Now, I want them to call me, so I can give my “spiel” (why to hire me) before giving my price. I’d say that I book over 95% of those I speak with.
So, are you articulate? Can you sell yourself?
Now you have your answer.

Darrul,
Please dont take offense, I looked over your site and I do like the presentation, I have two items I figured I could share:

your pricing is on there (I would reccomend standard inspections starting at the $299 figure. The matrix you show can lead to ambiguity, for example for a 2200 square foot home your fee is “x”. You dont take into account if its multi family, detached garage, etc…You may get a prospect that calls and feels like you bait & switched when you add $50 here or there for extras not listed on your price portion of the site.

but is your company a multi inspector firm? you sometimes say “we” do this that and the other, but also reference “i”. if its just you dont try to seem like a big company, just say it’s just you if thats what’s there.

My 2cents.

I have never listed prices…
and never will…

I agree Joe, I do lilst my starting at price and thats it. My reasoning is that I dont want the folks looking for the $99 any size home etc… wasting their time or my time. You have an idea of where my fee structure begins.

My clients last night told me they chose me BECAUSE my prices were listed on my website. they were about 40 yrs old and said they actually hung up on an inspector during his long winded sales pitch and were frustrated trying to get a price from him…

Now to be fare Robert. They had it with sales pitches. long winded ones at that.
If they were to say they hired you because of your abundance of general residential information and educational material on your site along with your price listing/s I would see and argument for placing pricing on a individuals site.

All the best Robert. JMO.

I have changed my price structure to standard fee by sqft., but I do not charge additional for crawls, attics, basements, or garages. If I were the customer I would feel nickel and dimed. I also refer to me and my company as we instead of I to make my business seem larger than it is. I do appreciate any constructive criticism and often make adjustments based on your opinions. Can you guys peek at my webpage and give me some tips www.stockshomeinspection.com