To pump or not to pump?

Originally Posted By: osmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all,

I was inspecting a home that a client is planning to sell/list within the next 90 days. She has lived there for 8 years. She had a sump pump in her crwal space and another one in her laundry room that was hidden under some cabinets in a corner. She didn't know that she had either sump pump! Both of them were unplugged so I didn't plug them in to test. I figured they were unplugged for a reason, so why should accept the liability if for some reason water exploded out of a wall or something. The home is a tri-level and the below ground level showed no signs of water intrusion. Also, after 8 years you would think that if they were never used-did she need them anyway? Was this ok to refuse? I wrote in the report that they were not tested because they were not plugged in.

Thanks,

Oscar

--
Dreams without action stay dreams.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

osmith wrote:
Hello all,

I was inspecting a home that a client is planning to sell/list within the next 90 days. She has lived there for 8 years. She had a sump pump in her crwal space and another one in her laundry room that was hidden under some cabinets in a corner. She didn't know that she had either sump pump! Both of them were unplugged so I didn't plug them in to test. I figured they were unplugged for a reason, so why should accept the liability if for some reason water exploded out of a wall or something. The home is a tri-level and the below ground level showed no signs of water intrusion. Also, after 8 years you would think that if they were never used-did she need them anyway? Was this ok to refuse? I wrote in the report that they were not tested because they were not plugged in.

Thanks,

Oscar

Good call I might have also written that they looked like they had not been used or needed.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Agreed, good call, just observe and report.

Originally Posted By: osmith

Thanks guys. Its nice to know that I made the right call.

Oscar

--
Dreams without action stay dreams.