Toilet fill valve discharges when vanity tap is turned on

Hi there,

Looking for a bit assistance in finding out what is happening with a clients plumbing system.

Symptoms: When the client turns on a tap in the bathtub or another part of the home, water discharges from the toilet fill valve.

Water pressure: Water pressure is 100 Psi at the mainfloor hose bib and 50 psi at the 2nd floor cold water laundry supply. (this is also unusual to see that much of a difference.)

Location. Client home is apx 300 meters from the main water tower

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hendrik

2 Likes

Sounds to me like a “water hammer” issue.

1 Like

This is an unusual set of circumstances. Get the homes water pressure below 80 psi and see what happens. You may also suggest replacing the ballcock on the water closet.

2 Likes

Well, at my home, the hose bib is at municipal pressure (120 psi) because the hose bib water pipe branches off the main water supply pipe before the pressure regulator. The remaining branch water piping is regulated at 55 psi. My point is, be sure to determine if the outside hose bib is before or after the regulator.

Also, what is the pipe material?

1 Like

I buildt a house so tight one time that when I closed the front door the toilet wanted to flush .

1 Like

That’s the truth.

I prefer you lie to me and call me names! :crazy_face:

Your a winner! LOL!

How did you know the toilet wanted to flush? Did it tell you? :rofl: :grinning:

1 Like

We had hardtops like that in the 70s. When you slammed the door with the windows up they had little clips along the roof/window joint to keep the window from “blowing out.” They were called “blow out clips.” Warranty work at a dealer involved all kind of annoying body adjustments like the “blow out” clips that weren’t working.

Now they build them so the interior “vents” through the blend door when the car is off.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions… So far we’ve got Wattrr hammer, and a regulator issue before it all went off track.

Any other ideas?

Hendrik

The material is PEX

I’m on the side of water hammer. But I guess it’d depend on HOW it starts running. Do you hear the hammer clunk or it just starts running?

Any PRV in the system?

You know they make screw on water hammer arrestors. Stick one on the Laundry connection, see if the behavior changes.

1 Like

Does someone actually see the toilet fill valve run? Many times a slight flapper valve leak will cause the fill valve to run. Bowl leak for five minutes, tank level goes down, fill valve runs to top off the tank. May only SEEM to coincide with another event.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your insight. I’ll contact the homeowner with our findings! Hendrik