tonnage?

Tonnage - To answer those questions he referred to?
Age - to give them an idea where the unit is in its life expectancy curve?
Dry bulb - Got to agree with you here, who cares?

Reporting on the tonnage and age of an HVAC unit is practicing HVAC without a license? I am in trouble now!

Ruud Model #: 10AJB42A01 = 42000 BTU’s / 12000 (BTU’s per ton) = 3.5 tons.

S/N: 6935 T3604 06355 = Week 36 Year 2004

I report this information on every inspection. It’s one way to prove you reported on the unit. There have been instances where the condenser unit was missing when the new owners moved in. This information can be used to help protect you and your clients in a fraudulent claim. I also take photos of the unit and the data plate.

That’s great, so long as you’re correct with your information!

So do I! Very good practice! However, I just put it on file in case something comes up in the future.

I don’t see where reporting on the tonnage and age of the equipment will identify the fact that it condensing unit is missing!?

I know the answer to my questions. They’re just hypothetical. As you may guess, I am not a fan on attempting to predict or guess what the expected future life of an HVAC unit is. I’ve seen the unit straight out of the box fail. I have seen little men and the women that can keep a GE heat pump running perfectly for 20 years plus. That’s my point.

No it is not!
However, to provide the necessary information that really matters in the evaluating the HVAC system, you need to go were only EPA certification will allow you to go! If you elect to go there and put on a set of refrigeration gauges, you are practicing HVAC.

Try this calculation:RLA divided by 7 = tonnage

RLA.
Hmmmmmm.
Russel Loses All?

Also, 1 HP = 1 Ton.
Get numbers off the compressor.

Running Load Amps

I guess that would apply to anything and everything you report.

Good for you.

If you reported the model number, serial number and took photos of the A/C then it’s a pretty good indication that it was actually there at the time of the inspection. I heard about one inspector who was being sued by the buyer because the A/C was missing when they took posession of the home. Having multiple forms of documented evidence will make it easier to prove your case to the judge and jury. I also use this senerio for all major appliances…tell 'em what your inspecting, give 'em model numbers and serial numbers, take photos, operate the unit, report what you found, tell 'em what you didn’t do and go on to the next item. That seems pretty clear to me.

I don’t predict or guess about anything. I just report what I find.

This would be the case of performing a technically exhaustive inspection that is beyond the scope of our services. If I thought the A/C system needed servicing I would suggest the services of a HVAC contractor, someone who ‘Practices HVAC’.

I come up with 45 ton…:shock:

Best resource I have found is the Technical Reference Guide from Carson Dunlop, yes.